Share your thoughts with me?

Can you get photos showing what a short lunge session does?
How do you mean? before and after? TBH I haven't lunged her since 2015 when the old lameness issue started, I only did last week because in my mind I felt like perhaps I was missing a subtle lameness that should be coming with the swelling so wanted to be able to stand back and assess instead of trying to trot her up and watch over my shoulder at the same time. As that made it swell effectively I lunged last night purely for that.

The swelling goes completely if she isn't worked, and the vet will see the result of a small amount of work this afternoon, that's why I wanted her to see it swollen, but yes she does seem to believe me, she just doesn't understand why it's happening. Not showing typical symptoms seems to be Jess' MO, she is a stoic old bird so there still could be subtle lameness I'm not catching (trying to assess it alone). She did do a slightly odd thing when I started lunging her on the right rein last night, not a typical head nod but for about half a circle she was moving her nose to the outside a couple of inches in time with footfalls, but then it went.

Keeping my fingers crossed that hopefully you may get an answer of some sort today as to what is going on. Nothing to add other than fingers crossed.

Reactions: Jessey
I was thinking more of a video of how the swelling is and also if it has any impact on her movement x

The vet has looked and bottom line is to keep working and monitoring.
Work up, she's 'sound' and would pass a vetting but being extra picky she noticed a very very slight offness on the left fore (opposite side to the current issue but the original problem foot with known thin sole). We scanned everything foot to fetlock and did the left for comparison and everything looks normal apart from a tiny anomaly in the right coffin joint which she thinks is an old calcification or scar and unlikely to be a problem, there's no excess fluid in the joint (which you'd expect to see with inflammation), all tendons, ligaments and sheaths look normal, no vascular thickening and blood flow looks normal on doppler, and skin layers look normal.

How odd that she keeps getting the swelling then, but good to know there's nothing significant causing a problem.

If you work her lightly every day does it gradually get better or worse? Does it make any difference if you bandage her to work? Put magnets on after working her (the sort you can turn out in and leave on)? In case you hadn't guessed I'm clutching at straws here!

How odd that she keeps getting the swelling then, but good to know there's nothing significant causing a problem.

If you work her lightly every day does it gradually get better or worse? Does it make any difference if you bandage her to work? Put magnets on after working her (the sort you can turn out in and leave on)? In case you hadn't guessed I'm clutching at straws here!
I'm right there with you and those straws ;) those are all things on the list to try, I'm hoping daily light work may help, I was too nervous to try it before getting her checked. I did try equilibrium exercise wraps the other week but those made no difference. The vet said it could be a kind of filling during recovery once her heart rate returns to normal which is why it is so delayed so I might try bandages for a few hours after work to see if prevention helps but that will have to be a day I have time to hang around so I can make sure they don't swell tight. We never really figured out the swelling on the other leg (suspected bone bruise but wasn't definitive) and that eventually cleared with gentle work so fingers crossed this does too.

Reactions: carthorse
newrider.com