shivering grehound - any ideas?

kat1

Jul 15, 2007
Lancashire
Well this is Mackenzie our 2 year old greyhound (well actually he is a lurcher but not much of anything else in him)

He is the tan one (taken a year ago) It is -2 outside, has been all day and he has an indoor kennel, outdoor kennel and also comes in the house. He is freezing. He ha a total of 9 coats but just gets out of them all the time by chewing them or wriddling out of them (no matter what the fit or material). He is losing weight and looks so skinny. We are feeding him correctly but due to his coat issue, he is using all the energy to keep warm!

We have a baskerville muzzle for him but it says not to let them wear them unattended yet he can drink with it on. How can I keep him in his coat? Any clues?

I have just put him to bed with two coats on and he is fine and will hopefully just sleep and leave them on but I am really worried about his weight dropping any further.

Attachments

• fist lot 069.jpg
    fist lot 069.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
aww poor thing. should know better than to take his coats off!! :rolleyes: im guessing he eats dog beds. my friend rescues cats and has summer houses outside with heaters that cant be reached, so no burnt kitties :D

Is he indoors and cold or out? If its that cold and he is feeling it I would keep him in. If he is in, could you try one of those bean bags that you microwave?

That is good idea, we have an extention at the side of the house, we use it for kennels but it is quite warm. I was just going to heat one for me to help my period pain but that is a great isea for his bed!!!

maybe try a knitted greyhound jumper? should be more difficult to get off as they have sleeves! also try putting a hot water bottle in his bed under a blanket and put his bed near the radiator. :)

maybe try a knitted greyhound jumper? should be more difficult to get off as they have sleeves! also try putting a hot water bottle in his bed under a blanket and put his bed near the radiator. :)

thats a good idea, do you know how to get hold of them?

Equifleece do jumpers! You may need to inpregnate his coats in something not tasty!!!! (He will prob chew up a 'warmer' in his bed too!!!)

newrider.com