Shoes passed inspection.

Wally

Apr 16, 2000
Now Frances has her new fancy horse and a W.Ch. level instructor I have had to learn a new method of shoeing.

Bjorn wants them shod more for competition than normal messing about. Which means a heavier shoe and different weight shoes front and back (depending on the natural gait of the horse)

It also means shoeing longer in the toe at the front, (of the 5 gaiters) and shorter behind.

and the good news is my first attempt with the new style has passed inspection.

Wow Wally I didn't know you could shoe horses as well, your the most self sufficient horse owner I know hats off to you :smile:

Pictures? I'm always interested in shoeing pictures & this sounds quite different. What's the reasoning behind the longer toe & different weights? Does it cause problems elsewhere or isn't it extreme enough to do that? (In case you hadn't noticed I'm a nosy cow :ninja:)

Here's a couple of things worth reading.
http://www.feiffengur.com/documents/FEIF_Hoof Study.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21059044

If you have a 5 gaited, pacy horse if you have a longer toe, it causes the foot to fly farther, and breakover is delayed so it stays in the air longer and breaks up a pacy gait and makes it toltier. You also shoe the inside back heel a teeny bit lower so it causes the foot to fly out the way, and not over reach. The heavier shoe exaggerates the flight of the foot too.

With a trotty horse you shoe heavier on the back and light in front.

Having said this, it is not extreme as in the Morgan or TWH.

Thanks Wally, I'll have a read of those tomorrow. At the moment I'm too tired - I've just woken up having fallen asleep in the chair!

You often see Icelandics wearing a kind of over-reach boot, they come in lots of different weights so you can alter the weight on each horse to see how it influences his movement.

For competitions (not breeding shows where you have to ride the horse) on the oval track you are allowed to put pads on and fill them with silicone to add a bit more weight.But if you ride every day with a weighted foot they get used to it and go flat again. So it's best to put the weights on the day of the show or the day before.

newrider.com