Short and wide...

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Apologies in advance. I know I've prob asked this before! I am looking to get some black (or brown) long leather boots but I need short and wide. Now, I've had Equitectors (they fell to bits after a short while:cry:) and I've had Mountain Horse high rider Sportives. I want something a bit less chunky thatn the normal Mountain Horse boots (they do short and wide, I've got those) but I am really struggling to find something a bit more elegant. Tried Requisite Soft tops but they weren't a good fit - all the other gorgeous looking boots like Ariat Bromonts are not available in short and wide. Anybody else managed to get some that are a really good fit? Santa is chipping in, so I have about £250 to spend - but the short and wide seems to elude me! I don't need very wide fitting - just enough to be comfy (I can't get with the concept of riding boots being uncomfortable, just doesn't seem right!!!).
Anyone point me in the right place? I have all the usual suspects like Rideaway, Robinsons books etc but nothing seems to tick all the boxes.
Thanks in advance.:biggrin:

Have you tried rydale or sherwood boots ? not sure if they are too heavy for what your thinking of but have heard good review about sherwood and my rydale are ok for what they cost. Have had to reproof them twice since august.

I did think about fuller Fillies, just that I did wonder if they might be a bit too wide - as I tried some on at Robinsons that were too wide (unbelievable on my chunky calveslol!!!)

eml - I have boots and gaiters but am far too lazy to put them on and off!lol, I don't know what it is, but I find them such a pain, whereas I tend to put a pair of long boots on and leave them on (don't find them hard to clean so can go straight into the house!).

I even tried some Sergio Grasso's a while back, but they didn't seem a good fit either. If only Mountain Horse did a sleeker long boot in short and wide - then I'd be happy!!

lol, what are you like????!!!!!:giggle::giggle:

I am the human embodiment of "short and wide" :redface: Can't do much about the "short" but hope to continue working on the "wide" in the new year.

Finding a pair of tall boots is really frustrating. Tried on a beautiful pair of Ariat Bromonts on the weekend. Could just get the zipper up (bare legs, no jods) and the tops were over my knees. Think I'll check out Fuller Fillies.

There was a previous thread on this, years ago.
One regular poster Mehitabel recommended Broginis for the shortish and not too slender. She needed boots for showing.
Someone else wrote
A brilliant comfortable boot you could try are Rigali Ricchi boots. They are £199.99. They are high topped and come in a variety of leg/height widths. They also look very smart. Check out www.frogpool.com for details.

You could do a NR search of old posts using the various brand names.
I kept notes of some posts - possible up market Cavallo, Tacto, Konig 269 from Rideaway.

Someone else recommended Ariat half chaps and boots worn together. That is what OH has done. He refuses to spend money on long boots.

In one of the old threads someone complained that their long boots for riding were uncomfortable to walk in. That's not surprising. When I bought my very expensive long boots, I was warned not to walk about London in them! But I did look for boots made in the traditional way so they could be re-heeled. And my cobbler heeled them for me specially, by hand last summer.

I didnt buy Brogini, as at the Olympia horse show the Brogini stand was left unmanned - no one to serve me.
The shop from which I bought had plenty of boots to fit my shortish widish legs. But one thing I learned was that some companies produce several different boots - looking much the same but at different price levels. The leather seemed softer in the more expensive boots and was therefore more comfortable. And some cheaper boots dont come in half sizes which I need.

But think carefully when and where you will be wearing your boots - my long boots which I love dont fit easily over great thick winter breeches, so I cant wear them in weather that is freezing. I still need to have half chaps and short boots for winter. And boots which are lovely to ride in, dont give you much protection if a horse steps on your foot, so I dont wear them when grooming etc either.

I have the Mountain Horse rimfrost riders, and they just fit height wise, good fit calf wise though, the dublin pinnacle ones are lovely..and are lace up so should fit all!:happy:

Thanks for all the replies. The point about them being difficult to walk in is a good one. I don't really want to spend money on something that is downright uncomfy when I've finished riding! Yet I do fancy something a little sleeker than country boots (must have about 4 pairs of those by different companies.....)

Tbaynancy, I love the look of those Ariat ones too - but they are too tall for me - if only they did a shorter size.......

newrider.com