Should I be worried ?

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
I brought the Dinky Rugs grazing muzzle, but unfortunately it has rubbed on him, I can live with though. However the only way he has figured out how to get any grass from it is if he eats with his head to one side and grabs the grass through the left nostril hole. As he wears it for about 14 hours a day (he's in during the day with a barley straw and hay in a haylege net) I'm a bit worried that he's grazing nearly all this time with his head on a funny angle. No matter how I adjust it he goes back to eating on this angle, it has now worn a good portion of the corner of the muzzle away, about the size of a 50p peace. His rubs are now getting worse as I think he's pushing it to one side more as the muzzle is wearing away slightly. Should I be worried about his head on this angle for long ?*:unsure:

Oh bless Ruskii, I'd be having similar woes if I could my damn horse to actually learn to eat out of it at all!
Sorry I'm no use, but just wanted to check, does your horse need to lose more weight or are you just trying to maintain? We seem to be managing here by having my boy in overnight (in his little penned off section of the field) and out during the day with no muzzle. Is being in all day not enough to just keep him where he is if he's at an ok weight?

Grazing muzzles, what a pain they are. I can see your concerns. I have 'comfort' grazing muzzles for mine. They still rub so I have sewn in little 'fleece patches' where the rubbing takes place. I only leave them on during the day when I use them at all. I seem to be managing well with a big field for daytime and three little pens for the night (highly zapped)atm. Sometimes lami pony comes in during the night and out in little pen during the day if the grass is keen. I sort of shovel things about depending on the weather.It is actually easier now I have three as the grass is more evenly shared out. Young one can usually stay out 24/7 as she is still growing. Big one goes out mostly whilst her weight is ok, soon as she starts putting on she is out in the day and penned at night, no stable for her as she has mild COPD. Mine don't really eat through the side but they do twist there heads, I don't like this much and I also worry they may get uneven wear on their teeth so I only ever use the grazing muzzles for short periods.

Funnily enough I am just applying these to Heidi's, its her old Roma one though. Really handy and worth buying couple of packs for spares.

http://www.charliesproducts.co.uk/grazing-muzzles/172-halter-fleece-set.html

The Dinky one does not rub at all. I found she could eat after I slackened the nose band to its max so the muzzle could move.
She cannot eat otherwise. I am not convinced with their design and found the stress factor was enough to reseort to her old one and less grazing time.

The Dinky ones seems to need a little bit of length to the grass but not too much and if its really short they just wouldnt eat.

I had her out unmuzzed as she was so stroppy today and her feet are warm now so I am just going to have to persevere.

My ex pony Amee ate with your head to the side and managed to eat away at the muzzle to get it exactly how she wanted it to be lol!!

Harvey's rubbed his nose rotten. Just coated it in vaseline and that did the trick!!

Unfortunately we don't have enough grass here at the moment to worry about a muzzle for Harv's. The paddocks have suffered due to the dry and cold weather, and now it has poured down it is still too cold for them to grow nicely. It's the first year since having horses that I haven't had loads of grass!!

Ideally I want loads of grass to last them the summer. Victory can stuff his face and I can muzzle Harvey so happy days, but how it is at the moment they spend more time in the sand school as the paddocks are way to waterlogged and dangerous so keep having to feed haylage ggggrrrrrrrr!

Last edited:
newrider.com