should i call a vet

Tuff_up

Jan 31, 2006
spruce grove, alberta
:confused: so i went on a vacation and let my mom which knows nothing about horses feed her with piles and piles of instructions on paper which i made sure she read over and over again had the vet phone number on my tack room door how to blanket her showed her how to blanket her ect. when i came back my horse had a small lump on her barrel about 4 cm in diameter i started spraying it with a human bacteria killer because i have no horse stuff and the tack store is closed and it was ooozing a bit and a little crusty and i didn't want to get it more infected or infected. so what should i do i don't really know what it is. my mom says it might be an ingrown hair. its a little to cold for bugs and bug bites are not hard like this one they are a bit softer and go away after a few days this has been here at least a week and at the most 2 weeks (i was gone for a week) its large enough to make my horses hair around the lump stick up. its not gatting any smaller or any larger.:eek:

:confused: also when should i deworm our weather has been so crazy i don't know what to do:eek:

:) If you yourself aren't sure what it is, call the vet. Could be anything from a tick bite to a tiny wound that got infected to who knows. I wouldn't call the emergency vet but I would have the regular once come out at their earliest convenience.

I also wouldn't blame mom. The horse could've gotten a tiny puncture wound on something which most people would've missed, and you're only just now seeing it cause it's infected and swollen. Horses are good at finding crazy ways to get hurt.

sorry guys but i am not blaming my mom i am actually very grateful and appriciate what she did any one for the deworming question because my mom says shes going to get the vet any ways

If the vet is coming anyway, I'd ask about a suitable worming program. We used to worm ours every 6-8 weeks, on a rotating cycle of different products, partly to prevent any resistance building up, and partly because the different stuff dealt with different varieties of worms. That said, I'm way out of date with what's on the maarket, and I expect it's different over there anyway, so I would take adcantage of the expert! I'msure he/she won't mind - our vets were always happy to discuss general welfare issues.

Ross

newrider.com