Should I call the vet???

iluvhorses28

Jul 29, 2005
California
Fancy, our 4 yo mare started coughing this past Sunday.. not anything big but every so often. No yellow/green discharge, not even clear as I can see....
Cough is going around at the barn.. clearly it's a bug of some sort as weather skips from hot to cold lately here.

Anyway, I am planning to call out the vet anyway as she seems to be 'under the weather like'
sluggish like
little appetite, still eating but sloooowly
coughing

I just am not sure whether this constitute a vet call, or is this fairly a common thing that goes away in a few days??
This is my first run on dealing with coughing...so I really cant tell if it's normal or what is normal and what is bad.

Planned ot call out the vet and not wait until it's worse..... just curious if this is something that needs a vet or just a simple remedy I do not know of....

Please help...:eek:

I think if all the horses in the barn have it you need to treat them all at once so they don't re infect themselves?

Colds are fairly common and they do tend to spread rather quickly. The good news is that they usually fade pretty quikly as well.

So long as the discharge is a normal color and she doesn't seem TOO uncomfortable, I wouldn't worry. Keep an eye on her for the next couple of days, and if it worsens, go ahead, but as it stands right now, I wouldn't worry :)

Would you think it's fair to ride horses with colds/coughs?

I am planning to skip my daughter having lessons on her this weekend to give her time to re-coop. but again, not experienced enough to know if that's not needed.????

horses commonly get coughs as others have said.Have you checked your horses temperature to see if its up at all.The fact that your horse is eating slowly and is sluggish would suggest he isn't feeling that well.Yes it may be just a cough but I suggest you keep a close eye on him and make sure he is warm and comfortable and if any discharge develops you will likely need your vet for antibiotics as you will if his temperature is up as this suggests a possible infection.The slow eating is most likely because his throat is sore.Make his feeds nice and moist for now to encourage him to eat.

Personally I would not ride a horse I thought was under the weather, even slightly, and I would avoid other things like clipping etc. I know I would hate it if I felt groggy, and stress on a lightly strained body can result in longer recovery time. I would let your daughter spend sometime gently grooming him thouroughly and stripping your tack down for a good old scub instead :) Chances are if it is just a mild virus its old one weekend off, and there is always other stuff to do

Well... decided to call the vet for Saturday.... I figured, cold or not...it's better aught and diagnosed at the earlier stages.

so let's see.... Gosh... I feel like when my kids are sick... constantly worrying!Funny!

A bunch of horses in our barn started getting a cough this summer. It was a bit odd, What it was is that the batch of hay we got was very very course and it was the hay causing the cough.

Could be a touch of a cold too, let us know what the vet has to say

If it's a viral cough then the vet won't be able to do anything apart from write out a nice big bill!:D

Keep her warm and don't work until the cough has gone - much damage can be done to the lungs if worked when not healthy.

Make sure you damp feed and hay so there is no extra dust around to irritate her cough. Think how you feel when you have a cough - she is no different.

If a nasal discharge starts and is thick, yellowy or greenish - then call in the vet as there is a secondary infection which will respond to antibiotics.

newrider.com