Show report from Sunday......RE Confident Jumping post......

joey_olop

I Love My Olops!!!!!
Jul 15, 2003
Sunny Slough!!
Visit site
After my confidence jumping post I thought I would let everyone know how it all went Sunday!

We went to Merrist Wood in Guildford & I actually woke up feeling really confident(thanks everyone!).

We got there & it turns out I was entered for the 2ft6, which was just as well as the 2ft3 class had just finished :(

Warm up went very bad, Blackie just would not listen to me & he was constantly neighing & calling out. It didnt help that the practice ring was packed & everyone was putting the jumps up higher & higher(over 3ft!):mad:By this point I was crying my eyes out & decided to go last. Managed to get Blackie over a tiny cross pole before going in.

Took him in the school & I managed to get him going :eek:So thought he had an attitude change, but low & behold he wouldnt go near the 1st jump(it was a brown rustic, not scary in the slightest & no-where near the 2ft6 height) I got eliminated :( Come out of the ring crying my eyes out:eek: Felt like such an idiot, but I was generally not nervous today(thanks to a drink the night before:eek: & rescue remedy:eek: )

Thanks for all your well wishes, Ive decided to have a bit of time out from competing & jumping.

Didnt get any pics Im afriad, OH was at the ready but as I didnt do anything he couldnt take any :(

RI says its a confidence issue on both parts as Blackie is only 6 he doesnt want to leave his home comforts as he has never really been out & about & me because of my jumping scares.

ETA Sorry for the essay :eek:

Basically what i did with my mare last year, although if i get chance to go again i'll take it. We got eliminated on novice pony jumping and intermediate pony jumping. It's a sad moment isn't it but we must pick ourselves up, brush ourselves off and promise to try and try until we succeed.
*just realised i must have my sensible head on :eek: *
The thing that matters is that you went and you tried! Just keep trying.
Take as much time as you need, i've taken a year and i'm still nervous in case i can go showing at the end of the season, just go for it when your ready and i'm sure you'll do so much better. Good Luck x

Thanks so much, we are going to go to some shows & not actually compete just so he can take in the atmosphere & get away from home, without the pressure of competing.

Hi hun well done for giving it a shot. Good idea on bringing him to some shows to have a look around t will help get him used to all the noise and all the stuff going on. If you get a chance to do some practise at an arena that would be great too as it can really boost confidence. I love hiring an arena away from home to school in for an hour as it lets me do some strange fences away without the pressure of competition. I find that if I only do a round of fences at a competition it can be a bit nerve wracking but if you get used to doing rounds at home and in other arenas its not as daunting at a show x

Thanks, We are going up to one of the big colleges this Sunday, Im not competing but my friend is so I said I would tag along just to soak up all the show energy :D

I dont like all the people watching as well :eek: feels like I got something to prove :eek:

What am I like eh???!!!

Oh dear- poor you what a horrid experience. I'm terribly nervous jumping and am slowly building up my confidence show jumping and I have to admit I started with a 'low jumps' class and they scarcely counted as jumps, however it really boosted my confidence as I got round the course and enjoyed it without having to worry about actually jumping. I have to say 2'6" seems huge to me, I'm planning to do a 2'6" class friday night and I'm terrified. Why not see if you can find a show with some tiny jumps to you and Blackie can get used to the show atmosphere and going round a course with out worrying about the jumps.

Just to show I really wasn't kidding when I said tiny
200801251752261.jpg

Now those are my kind of jumps :)

We will def do what you suggested about riding around the shows to get the atmosphere.

The jumps were quite big actually, although I dont think all of them where up to height cos there were some really diddy ones in the ring, although we didnt actually get round to see how big they actually were :rolleyes:

I think 2'6" is huge.

You're not THAT far away in Slough- if you came down the M4 then up the A34 I doubt it would take you that long to get to where the shows are held. It's fortnightly on Friday nights. I'm going tomorrow. If you want to come I'll be there for moral support. Here's a link to the website.

http://www.malthousecentre.co.uk/

Just looked at the link, cheers for that its not too far from me. Only prob is I work till quite late so I wouldnt get there in time, but If it was on a weekend I could go.

Maybe see you up there sometime, if they hold the shows at weekends??

2ft 6 is massive!

How about some clear rounds. They sometimes let you put them down to a cross pole - and if he doesn't like a fence, just miss it out.

newrider.com