Show Us Your Legs

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
IMG_20140817_205441.jpg I mean your Neddy, but if anyone does want to share their own pins, :p this is in the Cafe.

Well no one was on the yard so I got my tape measure out.
Pit to floor she is 28", thats 2ft 4. For a 14.1hh cob those are wee short ones.

How long are yours :)

For those eagle eyed, note the belly button tufts, its getting chilly.

Reactions: Trewsers
How much bone does she have NF? I've never thought to measure the length of Raf's legs but I know he has a puny 8" of bone (and his chest is about half as wide as Tilly's).

They are lovely feathers!

Oh I wish I'd read this before I went to the yard this morning. Will measure later but imagine she's got sort legs like me. :)
Obc I bet gingers are long he always looks like a super model with legs that don't know when to stop.
Super feathers Tilly has too.

Great Tilley feathers!!! I will measure Chloe n Storms legs. Heheheee. Am betting Stormys are quite long but that they look shorter cos of the spare pony underneath (belly!)

She has 9" inch bone.
I measured the length because has a short stride and I was curious.
Most bits of her have been measured-hooves mainly though for boots.

So, just to clarify - are we measuring the inside of the leg? I would imagine that Raf will find that quite interesting. And Jack will be convinced I'm doing a carrot stretch and there MUST be a carrot in it somewhere!

Reactions: Trewsers
Yes I measured the inside.
Mine are 30" so my legs are in fact longer than hers.
She gets weight taped so she probably just filed under weird.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
If you measure point of elbow to fetlock, in an adult, it's normally the same as point of elbow to withers, so you could use it to tell if she's proportionate, it's normally used on yearlings to estimate final height.
I have no idea how long Jess's legs are, will have to measure tomorrow if I remember.

She hasn't got withers in summer :)
I will try and remember that tomorrow, if no one is looking. They will think I have got rewired. ;)

Reactions: Jessey
Loving those knees, look at that lush bone.
He has grey tufts under the belly, is your planning autumn as well. Summer coat coming out in piles where I am.

I will measure bone tomorrow night NF.
His autumn coat is on it's way, he's at that velvety stage which I love! And his knees are the best part of him - I love them - they're huge, bigger than my hand span. I should really put something like a 50p coin in the picture to give an idea of scale haha!!!

Yes that would be fun.
I am surprised my legs are two inches longer than hers, everything else about her is huge.
Still if I got her some jeggings she is regular ;)
I will try and remember what Jessy said about proportion.

I have had to go up to a full size fly bonnent, can fit all her ear in now :)

I measured Raf's at 35", but not sure whether I've done it right. Might have another go tomorrow. I've had to do it in his stable too because I didn't want to put him on the yard to measure him - if YO had been watching on her CCTV she'd have wondered what on earth I was doing. Forgot to take a tape measure so had to use a bit of baler twine and cut it to length and so couldn't do Jack, as only had one length of bailer twine! Plus didn't read Jessey's post before I went to yard so didn't measure to withers. Big FAIL!

Will try again tomorrow but in the meantime, here is an old picture of an Arabian stallion (Shahzada) which I found online once and was so amazed by the length of his legs that I kept the pic!

Blow I forgot to measure to the fetlocks. Tomorrow as won't have my hacking out head on.

Erm I'd like to revise my earlier leg estimate - I used my own leg as a guess and then measured at home but tonight I took my tape down to get an idea of cannon bone and his legs are only 28" long from inside and he has 11inches of bone - if I measured that in the right place (around the middle of his cannon).

I measured the bone just under the knee.
So his legs are the same length as mine? Pit to floor.
That could explain your struggle with impulsion? He can only be as forward as his leg length/body type allows?
My instructor has said that mine struggles with canter, she isn't built for it, she is built to pull and be heavy fronted.
Our trot is our best gait :)

newrider.com