Showing Woes!!!!

Amz2014Pwllhen

Jul 30, 2016
Hi all, first time I've posted on here so apologies in advance if I babble!!!!

I've got a little coloured mare who I'm hoping to show at local level this season. I've been having weekly lessons which are going well and shes making good progress.

However recently she's been trying out some new moves and started napping!! Always to the right hand side!! I ride her in a snaffle and although she's strong we've been going well.

I'm thinking of putting her in a pelham with double reins, as I think when we get in the ring she'll tank off in the canter round!!

I've been riding for 20+ years but never ridden in a pelham or double reins before, what are people's thoughts?? Xx

Maybe ask your instructor to help with teaching you how to use double reins?
I've never used double reins so have no advice to help really.

Thanks kite_rider, have a new woe today!!! So think showings out of the question :(

Whilst out schooling in the field (unfortunately don't have an arena at home!!) Put her into trot, going ok then she shoved her head up in the clouds and locked her jaw, then charged into a gate spinning at the last minute which unseated me!! #justonemorethingtosortout xx

If she is always napping to the same side and is now locking her jaw and spinning, are you sure it isn't pain related rather than just bad behaviour? Has she had her teeth etc checked recently? I think I'd get her checked out physically before putting a different bit in.

I'd get her checked out physically then if all is well you might have to rethink bit/noseband and approach.

Is she is opening the mouth, crossing the jaw and going sideways I would pop a Frenchlink full cheek on with a grackle noseband on but not tightly, will stop the evasions and give you more steering. I would also get your instructor out more often no put off competing until you are more confident, horses will take the pee if they think they can, hence the gate charging.

School in the corner furthest front the gate, working in walk, moving her from halt to walk and back again, changing the speed of the walk to get her listening then once she is ask for trot. Might take a few sessions but slow it all down and don't be afraid to get tough when she pushes boundaries, be determined.

newrider.com