Showjumping ponies as an over 16?

GAJ2002

Mar 29, 2020
I was sat wondering if BSJA have classes for children in horses then why can’t there be classes for adults on ponies? Of course I completely appreciate this could be taken advantage of and you could end up with small ponies carrying way too much weight but if they had rules in place to some how combat this why is it not possible? I’m devastated to now be an over 16 meaning the only way I can compete my 14.2 (BSJA wise) is in the horse section and I’m not sure if we will cope with the striding! I know plenty of people in the same situation, even some on 13.2’s who can’t compete them at all anymore, despite being a perfect fit for them. We just love our ponies too much to say goodbye :(. Excuse me If I’m being naive but...

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
At lower levels I don't see why it would be a problem, your flatwork would just have to be that bit better so you can lengthen and shorten as needed. That might not be an option given he's already showing signs of stiffness though. I've ridden 14.2s with bigger strides than some 16hhs, in fact when jumping courses I'm never convinced a big stride is an advantage, I'd rather having something naturally short and bouncy that if needs be can pop in an extra one and make the turns easier. That may be an issue at higher levels, but higher levels aren't what you'll be doing with him anyway.

Reactions: Huggy

GAJ2002

Mar 29, 2020
At lower levels I don't see why it would be a problem, your flatwork would just have to be that bit better so you can lengthen and shorten as needed. That might not be an option given he's already showing signs of stiffness though. I've ridden 14.2s with bigger strides than some 16hhs, in fact when jumping courses I'm never convinced a big stride is an advantage, I'd rather having something naturally short and bouncy that if needs be can pop in an extra one and make the turns easier. That may be an issue at higher levels, but higher levels aren't what you'll be doing with him anyway.

GAJ2002 said:
This is based on a different pony to the one I was talking about the other day but I see your point- thanks for the help! Senior classes are definitely something I’ll consider doing on him and see how he copes with the striding. The other one is now just doing unaff sj to a level he’s comfy with :)I just mean generally it would be so nice to have Classes that over 16’s can compete A pony in without being against horses (which I find can either be a positive or negative!)

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
I just think the striding is a very individual thing and doesn't necessarily have much to do with height, if a combination are good enough to affiliate then they have to learn to adjust to different striding and after all not all doubles or trebles are going to be on the same distance, that's why riders walk courses.

I don't feel the aim of affiliation is to provide for everyone, as you said that's what unaffiliated is for and if you just want some fun then it's a sight cheaper too. I'd say affiliated is targeted more at people who are serious about competing and progressing, in which case you buy something that you hope will be suitable.