Signs of a misaligned pelvis?

As far as I know if the horse is stood square on level ground then one hip will be visibly higher than the other, and there may also be less muscle development on the hindquarters on one side.

It's also something which every physio seems to turn up in every horse ;). Ive known about 8 horses so far with a misaligned pelvis.
It's just what Yann said, and what I described to you before in your other thread with standing behind on a mounting block. He might also hold his tail off centre as he moves.

xxx

To add to Yann and Jojoba's posts, if it's mild you may also see a slight shortening of stride on the affected hind, stiffness in the back and the affected hind may feel stiff and be held oddly when the horse lifts it to allow you to pick out the hoof.

You often get the tail held crooked whn moving and when its bad you get a kind of crabbing (slight lop sided movement) in canter, plus the hips appearing one higher than the other.
Its very common and is pretty easily rectified generally though if it is really bad and has been for a long time it could take longer.

I would just wait and see what the physio says, misaligned pelvis is a fairly obvious thing and something which happens to a fair few horses, but the problem could be totally unrelated. It will depend on the severity, his conformation, condition, anything else that's wrong with him and how long the problem has been there as to how easy it will be to fix. Could be very easy, could be very hard. Could be something totally different! From what you've said so far I think tension and pain in the lumbar region, but Im not a physio either ;)

xxx

It's also something which every physio seems to turn up in every horse ;). Ive known about 8 horses so far with a misaligned pelvis.

That's because it's extremely common! It's the same in humans, I bet loads of people are walking around with a misaligned pelvis, but because it doesn't cause them a particular problem they don't do anything about it. I adjust my own pelvis (well, get OH to help!) because it so drastically affects my riding - I have video of me doing dressage and I'm *so* lopsided I'm surprised the judge didn't comment!My one leg can be an inch 'shorter' than the other! I really notice it in rising trot, my pelvis is twisted and I can feel one hip swing further than the other.

Unless the muscles are also treated, with massage and stretching, the pelvis will rotate again and again - it's not a case of one treatment fixes it for life.

In answer to OP, as others say, check the hip bones - if your horse doesn't kick, stand behind him with your hands on top of his rump and slide your fingertips down until you feel his hip bones. If one hand is higher than the other that indicates a problem. If the pelvis is rotated forwards on one side, the rotated side will bring that hindleg further under the body so he will appear short on the other hind. Tail not being held centrally is usually a good indicator too. Other signs include unwillingness to canter on a particular lead.

It's also something which every physio seems to turn up in every horse .

Which is why I find it reassuring that my practitioner diagnoses this intermittently with Rio but so far not at all with Tess :D

That's because it's extremely common!
I know ;) Im just saying it's a safe bet :p. Oddly enough a slightly misaligned pelvis was one of my horse's smallest problems. No-one's perfect, which is why a physio will be able to find SOMETHING wrong with every horse (and person) they see. I went to a human physio once with sore wrists, came back with dodgy knees, ankles, wrists, broken and fused small bones in wrists, shortened tendons and tennis elbow :confused:. Id be surprised if a physio didnt find something wrong!

xxx

Daffy had a misaligned pelvis, and neck, and arthritis in one hock. Which came first we don't know, but two were secondary to the other.

Obviously because his neck was out as well this affected his entire body. He didn't track up, he was much more developed on one side, his trot was quite stuffy, difference between performance on each rein was significant (I now know it was somewhat more than just a preference) and he wouldn't stand square.

Now he over tracks, he's equally developed, his trot is fantastic now, his performance is tenfold improved and even on both reins and he's often standing square.

Perhaps the biggest change though, is the fact that he'll now play with other horses, and even me to an extent - I hold a lunge whip, flick it in his direction and he runs around like a looney. :p

Oher signs...

one front hoof bigger than the other (weight is thrown to one side more tan the other and makes the hoof spread)

Prefering one lead, unbalanced on one diagonal.

Saddle slipping to the side of the weakness.

The horse will look like it is pulling itself along with the legs on one side. The leg on the problem side will be taking smaller steps, so the horse will look short behind on one side.

Put the flat edge of your hand on the hip bone (karate chop position!) and stand your thumb up. See if one thumb tip is higher than the other. You might need someone else to stand behind you to look. Horse must be standing square (it will find this hard if misaligned)

As previous posters have said, it is probably related to other problems, on the other hand it could be the consequence of a skid, or rolling!

One of our driving horses must of put his hip out, set of in thecarriage and I knew within minutes something wasnt right, as we started of and a downhill stretch of path, he was trying to put weight onto one side whilst tottering down, when at the bottom on tarmac he was actually slipping on his front feet, to compensate weight from the back.

With that he was unhitched and a swap horse sent down to take over.

Back man came out and sure enougth it has his Pelvis/hip

He showed me from standing square behind the horse, how the lobsidednes was.

He applied pressure with his hands and fingers down the horses back towards the rear, and the horse dipped and flinched
To put it back in, if you have not seen it before is amazing to watch he. pickes on the offending side and kind of jolts it up and sideways..pop in it went!

He then applied pressure along the horse back again, towards the rear end and the horse didnt even flinch!

The Back man is great, I'm sure the horse in question new he was trying to help as he was something of a grouch in a stable anyway, and certainly never got harnessed up in it ! ( he was fine tied outside) I was a bit wary when asked to stand behind him in the stable lol!!

The horse had a week of work to rest, and was back to his usual fullness of life!

newrider.com