Slow cooker recipes / books!

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
Had a slow cooker for my birthday :) tested it out yesterday with a recipe off the Internet, was very impressed :)

But when searching for recipes quite alot said to cook such and such before cooking etc...I was after more easy recipes which I can literally all throw in and leave all day...although pretty happy to fry off meat etc before putting it in though!

Anyone got any good recipe websites or book recommendations?

Last edited:
Anything with oxtail, skirt, shin of beef, neck of lamb, pork shoulder, yum - I am dribbling into the keyboard

You can throw anything in a slow cooker and leave it to cook all day. The only proviso is that the liquid (stock/sauce whatever) must go in piping hot or actually just off the boil.
Cooking the food up first is generally done to brown the ingredients and cut down on the cooking time.

You can roast meats in a slow cooker, cook lovely suet puddings, make porridge and marmalade, sponge puddings.........

I would have thought that any slow cookbook would explain the principles of the method and enable you to adapt all the recipes in it to the "chuck it all in the pot" method.

I love my slow cooker :smile:

ETA: I do almost all my slow cooking via the one-step chuck it all in the pot method. I don't have time in the morning for faffing about cooking.

newrider.com