Slow lesson progress. What would you do if you were me?

KaylaSaidWhat

Feb 22, 2024
I started lessons in December. Yesterday was my 20th lesson and I'm having second thoughts about continuing taking lessons in this barn. I know people in other barns that are already cantering and some even jumping after this many lessons. I know I'm very much a beginner but I've been riding for 4 months and I still haven't cantered when people in other barns cantered on their 4th or 5th lesson. I know a guy who started lessons in October and is now jumping 1.15m with just one lesson a week.

Look, I wasn't expecting to jump after 20 lessons but yes, after finding out that people in this barn canter after at least a year of lessons I'm feeling discouraged. There are some girls in my group that have been riding for two years and are still in the beginner group and still learning to canter and not doing it very well either.

I may be overreacting but I was kind of hoping I would have cantered by now.

Do you think they're taking it way too slow? Is it better to wait this long before cantering, jumping etc? Should I look for other barns that go faster with lessons or stay in this one?

It's the most convenient cause it's close to where I live. The other ones are further away and since I don't drive, it would be a struggle to get there.

Everyone progresses at different rates, faster isn’t always better and it’s not just about the training given, it can be very dependent on the individual, the focus of the barn, the horses available etc. etc. If you can, try to avoid comparing your journey to others. If you are genuinely not happy with your progress perhaps book a lesson elsewhere so you have some comparison of your own to decide if you are getting what you need from your lessons.

It doesn't matter what other people are doing after how long, the important thing is that you progress at a pace that's right and safe for you. If you want to try lessons elsewhere then by all means do, but it may not be the solution you seem to think it will be.

Reactions: Native Lover
My experience of lessons is a lot of stables/ barns rush people into cantering and jumping way before they have mastered trottin. Some have falls on faster horses, etc and end up quitting riding altogether.

I am nearly 30 years experience with owning and riding horses….. still consider myself a novice rider but experienced owner. I don’t know how to jump…, but competed in lots of shows and events….

As the others have said don’t compare with other riders it’s your journey unique to you.

EXAMPLE
The Spanish riding school riders take years learning and mastering the basics, before they’re allowed on those stunning stallions in display. Every journey is different.

My advice …… enjoy the moment.

Three months is nothing. I didnt canter for ages, after a year of 2 private lessons a week, and even then I only learned to canter properly the following year out hacking before I did it in the school.
I met someone at my first RS who cantered soon after starting, may be because he was a young man (I was an older woman). He told me cantering on the Common had put him off riding. It was terrifying and he was stopping.

Learning to canter in a group lesson or class is a different matter. One of my grand children did learn to ride in an inexpensive weekly group class in UK. The kids rode in a long file round and round a large indoor school. Once a child could do rising trot, and steer and stop and start the trot without an adult running alongside the horse and was suitable balanced, they went up to the next class to walk, trot and halt without being led. Once that was fine, each child was given their first canter in a private lessons and if that went well they were promoted to the next class which rode walk trot and canter.

I do think one needs a private lesson for ones first canter. Learning to canter is a bit like learning to swim or ride a bike. You need to be properly taught and to take it in safe stages but once you can do it, it becomes easy and you dont forget how. But different teachers use different methods and if you are not enjoying your lessons nor progressing, by all means go for lessons somewhere else.

I started lessons in December. Yesterday was my 20th lesson and I'm having second thoughts about continuing taking lessons in this barn. I know people in other barns that are already cantering and some even jumping after this many lessons. I know I'm very much a beginner but I've been riding for 4 months and I still haven't cantered when people in other barns cantered on their 4th or 5th lesson. I know a guy who started lessons in October and is now jumping 1.15m with just one lesson a week.

Look, I wasn't expecting to jump after 20 lessons but yes, after finding out that people in this barn canter after at least a year of lessons I'm feeling discouraged. There are some girls in my group that have been riding for two years and are still in the beginner group and still learning to canter and not doing it very well either.

I may be overreacting but I was kind of hoping I would have cantered by now.

Do you think they're taking it way too slow? Is it better to wait this long before cantering, jumping etc? Should I look for other barns that go faster with lessons or stay in this one?

It's the most convenient cause it's close to where I live. The other ones are further away and since I don't drive, it would be a struggle to get there.
TBH not many riding schools will let you canter after 4 months of riding but it does depend on the person I cant say weather you should or not as i haven't seen you ride but if you can rising trot on rhythm siting trot, siting trot no stirrups and do it all with ease then you might be ready and you can A talk to your instructor and address the issue or B have 2-5 lessons somewhere else and see what they say

The gallop and jump beginner brigade are not any better or secure riders for it.

Learn the basics thoroughly. They are the foundation for all your riding and every horse you ride will thank you for it fo years to come. I did a whole year in walk and I had been riding for 25 years! I just needed to reschool myself and my horse.

newrider.com