Snacks on hacks

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I am hoping from next month to be able to take the Ziglet out for longer hacks (up to 3 or 4 hours maybe).

I wonder, those of you who do long rides, do you include a snack stop where you get off and let your horse graze for a bit? Or do you think they should be able to manage without?

He's a little porker and I am sure he won't faint, but I would quite like to let him have some noms at some stage. Softie, I know... But I am likely to be carrying snacks against an attack of the munchies too!

I was out for about 3 hours today and we didn't stop (but I was hopelessly lost and didn't really intend to be out so long so I didn't really plan for it :bounce:), but I did get off and walk for a bit coz my dodgy hip was playing up and I had just ridden up a really steep bit so I thought Lils could probably do with a breather as well - looking at it written down I think I'm a bit of a softy as well :redface:

I think if it was going to be more than 4 hours I would probably plan a rest/grazing stop tho because mine would normally be out grazing all day and it cuts quite a big chunk out of her normal eating time if she has to work instead. But if I didn't have a stop I would probably let her have a bit of extra hay for the night to make up for it (not much extra tho coz she is a big fat pie :giggle:)

When we go for a long ride they might get a quick snack break if we have stopped for a break - we occasionally have a picnic but otherwise I don't think we are out long enough, normally not over 3 hours. They are however often grateful of a drink from the trough when we go through the cows field after a long climb up a hill..

I will stop to let the horse have a munch if I'm on a day ride (say, 5/6hours) - but I am a real stickler for not letting a horse eat when it has a bit in, so if I am planning to go long enough to warrant a break, I take a headcollar with me so I can take its bridle off.

Rides of 2-4 hours don't warrant a horsy snack stop IMO.

I Would say no snacks.

But finnley will snack on his own accord most the time :stomp::giggle:

He will chuck his head down and have a good mouthfull, and ignore me kicking him on and trying to pull his head up. If theres a juicy bit of grass then i stand no chance lol!! :giggle:

Absolutely! We like to stop/ drink/ eat and they should have a break too- on longer rides. I loosen the girth and let them graze or just chill. We try and plan rides around places we can comfortably stop. Ideally with grazing but not essential.

I will stop to let the horse have a munch if I'm on a day ride (say, 5/6hours) - but I am a real stickler for not letting a horse eat when it has a bit in, so if I am planning to go long enough to warrant a break, I take a headcollar with me so I can take its bridle off.

Rides of 2-4 hours don't warrant a horsy snack stop IMO.

Newbie alert!! Why shouldn't a horse eat with a bit in? Genuine question from a new owner. Not that I think we'll ever be doing 3-4 hour hacks (5 minutes is about it for us) but am curious. thanks,

I wouldnt plan a stop but Rosie does take things into her own hooves and will grab at heather/leaves etc as we pass if we have been out for a while!!!!

On longer rides I have taken an apple or two for us to share - I get the juicy bits and Rosie gets the core - not that much of a softy after all! Luckily she is quite happy to drink out of puddles etc and will take the opportunty to graze if we stop. She tends to veer towards people in the hope we'll stop for a chat so she can have a munch!

We have done 4.5 hrs going to a fun ride without any breaks. We do longer hacks without breaks (2-3hrs) but we r hoping to plan rides incorporating a pub sometime so they will be about 5hrs long and will obv have a break

Newbie alert!! Why shouldn't a horse eat with a bit in?

It's just personal preference. I feel that when a horse is being ridden, it is time for work, not eating. It spends the majority of its day eating - when I'm riding it, it's time for work :) In terms of stopping and dismounting for planned snack breaks, I don't like them to eat with the bit in because they get grass or whatever stuck in it and I don't want them to be uncomfortable afterwards.

Not really the same thing, but I read on the Endurance GB website that it's important for the horses to snack during a competition as they must have normal bowel sounds for the vet checks. I know they're doing a lot of miles at some speed so it's a bit different from a normal hack, but I found it quite interesting!

It's just personal preference. I feel that when a horse is being ridden, it is time for work, not eating. It spends the majority of its day eating - when I'm riding it, it's time for work :) In terms of stopping and dismounting for planned snack breaks, I don't like them to eat with the bit in because they get grass or whatever stuck in it and I don't want them to be uncomfortable afterwards.

Totally agree with you on this one, if Ace manages to get a mouthful or grass or a bloody branch, we is so interested in trying to eat it, that he doesnt pay any attention to me, it gets twisted round his bit, so he chucks his head up and down and this really annoys me. SO on hacks there is no eating, unless i allow which is hardly ever, and if i do i regret it instantly.

If i was going out for a longer hack, and taken a picnic for me, then yes i would take his headcollar and let him have a little picninc too x

Thanks for this - should we ever hack longer than 5 minutes, will be good to know!

I have never been on a hack long enough to require snacks! (I wish!!!!!!!) if Storm and I were going out for a long time, I wouldn't worry about feeding her, just prob take some polo's to give her a treat and to fight off hunger pangs for myself !

newrider.com