Snap some pictures today

You know your (middle) grass is getting long when you can barely spot the 15.1 hoss!
View attachment 102875
You’re lucky, we’ve already been warned by our hay supplier that things will get expensive this year, the yield off the field at the side of our yard was less than 50% as with the dry spring the grass just hadn’t grown well at all, in fact they could only get small bales off it this year.

Yep the field we cut last year down by 100. A couple of other people ive spoken to said there yields are less than half.

Our field is not looking good inspite us taking the cattle off in February. I took th boys off there winter patch beginning of February and part of it still looks like a lawn. Hoping that we get some more rain to bring on a late flush so we can cut something late July. Although need a warm spell one field is ready to go, dont want too much heavy stuff or it will flatten it all.

My field is not too bad, 1 half is much poorer than the other as it just hasn’t recovered from being topped right before the 3 month drought and scorching 40c temps of 2018, the long bit wasn’t done then and does much better. I’m going to overseed the poor half next spring.

My main hay guy said he’s lost a lot of his other crops (sugar beet etc) completely, luckily he chops a lot of grass, so much so that he didn’t even bother baling last year as he still had a barn full of hay, he just took the seed (that’s what he grows for, hay is just a by product) and left the hay on the field.

newrider.com