SO CROSS! and some happy pics!

Gimp

Gimpy Gimp Gimp
Jan 19, 2005
came across a real tool the other day, and rosy posy upped her worth to me by a million times. Took daughter out for a lead rein hack as we do. Round here is mainly single track roads but with plenty of passing places and places to stop. Either side of the roads here are mainly ditches. So! we had a lovely potter along ( in full high viz to the eyeballs) when I see a car coming from approx 1/4 mile away behind us. We carried on as we were and I looked for the next passing place as he got closer. To my horror he decided to try and squeeze past us on the single track. I literally put my head round the other side of posy and how his wing mirror missed her back end I do not know. I managed to stop his car by this point by putting my hand out and almost putting myself in the middle. He put his window down to ask what the problem is as hes driving past us carefully. I while trying to hold my patience explained that if he had waited for us to take 10 more strides we could of pulled into the passing place safely and that he cannot drive so close to overtake etc... He then blamed me as apparantly I had seen him coming so why was I in the road still?? at this point the red mist descended.. he could not accept he had done anything wrong! I asked where he proposed I should of gone to... the passing place just ahead maybe!!. I then sadly pointed out a few more things in a more 'forceful way' I lost it with him! his wife just sat in the passenger seat looking at me blankly.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!!!

As for posy bless her she stood solid as a rock not flinching. I dread to think what may of happened if she were not as genuine. God I love that mare, she is truly a mothers dream pony !!! You cant have anything but dependable on the roads these days, even here, Its a dead end road in the village. Were literally at the end of the earth! Single tracks you can see for miles ahead in most places yet still an idiot can still manage to make life difficult. I wish I hadnt exploded now in hignsight but I was in shock and disbelief and to then be blamed!! Im generally laid back about most things but involve my child or animals and my bubble bursts. If anything it will be a memorable experience for him. I also suggested he read his highwaycode.

annyway... some happy pics from the weekend !!!

Dream pony

4yr old leading her back to the field!

some from the ploughing

wallys lovely little green beast shes kindly offered for us to have a shot with. Lovely and light I can literally pull it along with a finger!

Wally with Harvey ploughing

and cant leave out peerieman! hes patiently waiting for his London dray to arrive in June :D

givus a kiss !!

Posy is also still barefoot... her feet are ROCKS ! Wally had a good look at them on saturday, she said they are just fantastic! a little bit of flare needs taking off but they are not worn atall. Considering the miles she does both in walk and trot I am VERY pleased. That is a true barefoot horse.

Reactions: SeeingSpots
It's hard to keep your cool when someone is using a car as a weapon and your kids are put in danger.

I have got to the stage where I occupy the entire road now and don't give them the opportunity to try and squeeze past. If they try and squeeze their wing mirrors are at great risk

What an ass that guy was, I think he deserved the sharp end of you tounge. I too will occupy my lane to prevent people trying to squeeze by, had to so many times and its no fun when there isn't a child involved.
Lovely pics, especially that PM's nose, just make you want to kiss it and scruff and hug him :p

Reactions: Kite_Rider and Gimp
Lovely pics -I wonder if the guy was local?
We regularly watch polo in Summer. Polo fields are scattered and sometimes there are three matches per day - meaning we drive along rural country lanes to get from one field to another - single lane with passing places -
Our experience is that people who live locally and know the winding lanes drive at furious speed and will tail gate OH and use the horn. I assume that local people are territorial and also have urgent trips to make to the supermarket etc. The audience at polo many of whom are not local and who tend to be "posh" have wonderful road manners - they have wonderful manners at the matches too.
Anyone from outside or doing anything with horses may be regarded as an intruder and and invitation to be aggressive.
OH will sometimes pull off into a parking place to let someone pass us. The speed some local people drive is terrifying.

I think I will have to do that now literally stand in the middle of road if that what it takes to stop someone pushing past still.

Reactions: Jessey
No they were not locals (know everyone in the village) the car did not have a local plate on and they spoke English. They had driven into the village and out again. We get alot of tourists who have a drive out to the village for a gander. I think irrespective of if they were local or not though what they did was dangerous.

I agree with the others - you shouldn't regret getting cross - you were well within your rights. Imagine what might have happened if Rosie wasn't a total star!

It's the Folk Festival at the moment and the place is oaging with hire cars as well as tourists in their own cars.

Reactions: Gimp
It just gets worse and worse with riding on the roads - to the point where I rarely go on the road these days. I too would have been a little caustic I think!

Lovely pictures - and just look at that moustache! That needs oiling into a Poirrot 'tache! :D

I had an incident on Saturday with some d*ckhead trying to squeeze past on a blind bend of all places !! :eek: My daughter was on the back of the carriage and you're right, if you endanger the child then a bubble bursts!
Sadly we have lots of cyclists round here all doing their time trials on the roads, I had a group of just under 30 squeeze and squish in and around my horse and carriage as a HGV was coming the other way on a bendy lane and they had the nerve to complain to ME about holding them up as they were in training and needed to keep the pace going ?! o_O One bloke nearly lost his balance as he was alongside my horse and went to grab onto the shafts, his hand missed and he grabbed the side of the harness to steady himself. Horse went "Wtf was that ?!" but only jumped he didn't spook fortunately but I was going at a good pace on the road not dawdling along. Never have I been so tempted to hit someone with my driving whip :mad:

As soon as the HGV passes us though they all took off again. Fortunately that has been the only bunch that have been twits, the rest have been very good at letting us know when they are behind us or wish to overtake.

I had an incident on Saturday with some d*ckhead trying to squeeze past on a blind bend of all places !! :eek: My daughter was on the back of the carriage and you're right, if you endanger the child then a bubble bursts!
Sadly we have lots of cyclists round here all doing their time trials on the roads, I had a group of just under 30 squeeze and squish in and around my horse and carriage as a HGV was coming the other way on a bendy lane and they had the nerve to complain to ME about holding them up as they were in training and needed to keep the pace going ?! o_O One bloke nearly lost his balance as he was alongside my horse and went to grab onto the shafts, his hand missed and he grabbed the side of the harness to steady himself. Horse went "Wtf was that ?!" but only jumped he didn't spook fortunately but I was going at a good pace on the road not dawdling along. Never have I been so tempted to hit someone with my driving whip :mad:

As soon as the HGV passes us though they all took off again. Fortunately that has been the only bunch that have been twits, the rest have been very good at letting us know when they are behind us or wish to overtake.

Oh my good god!!! seriously !!?? what a load of ignorant twerps. Thank god your horse was sensible!!!

We mustn't lose the plot. I was reading the other day that someone got taken to court for using there whip on someone's car when they lost it with a driver. The driver claimed they caused thousands of pounds worth of damage. Including cracking the windscreen and bonnet.

We mustn't lose the plot. I was reading the other day that someone got taken to court for using there whip on someone's car when they lost it with a driver. The driver claimed they caused thousands of pounds worth of damage. Including cracking the windscreen and bonnet.
he shouln't have been within reach!

I had another incident today actually ! Someone drove right past the passing place and at me. I just sat in the middle of the road ( single track!) and held my arms out. The car kept creeping forwards at me. It was an old geezer in it so kept my cool! in the end he started reversing the short distance back to the passing place in a god awful zigzag. It did make me question his ability to drive. I thanked him and smiled when I went past.

newrider.com