So.... it was Jane vs Dom at the yard show....

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
We'd been told by luffly YM that it was a "fun" show and that it wouldn't matter than Dom didn't have a jacket. I know traditionals should be shown hairy in all their natural glory, but as it was only a fun show, I decided to lattice Albi's mane, but ran out of time to plait his tail too. Turns out the judge was also traditional and took a dim view of my artwork hanging from Albi's neck.... also the fact that I wasn't wearing gloves, nor had I oiled Albi's hooves. It was a ridden tack and turnout so I was also surprised that we had to do an individual show! Something that I hadn't primed Dom for and Albi was behaving like a total slug and I couldn't get him to canter without it having looked ugly :p So you can imagine my utter shock and surprise when we were called in FIRST out of the five!!! Dom got a respectable third.

So I decided on impulse to do the very next class - the in-hand best turned out, so I whipped Albi into his stable and whipped out all the bands in his mane, slapped on a bit of oil on his hooves and joined the class, making it up to ten. Well.... we only WON that one too!!! I was so embarrassed!!! :oops:

The only other things I fancied doing were Handy Pony, which was a timed event and easy-peasy for Albi. And guess what.... yep.... we got a THIRD red one!!!

And.... those earned us enough points to get show champion! :eek:

Last thing we attempted was that clear round course which was a total disaster in that I think they were so low, he didn't make any effort and actually knocked about half of them down! :p But such a laugh and an experience for him. No refusals, bless.

LOVE my pony... clever boy!

Thanks laydees.... I certainly needed a boost this week. Haven't said anything but my youngest's (23) relationship fell apart on Tuesday evening. She's lived with him for 3 years and it wasn't her decision. Obviously she just wanted her mum so I did some moonlight flits down to Wiltshire in the week and provided a shoulder for some seriously heavy crying. A very emotional time for me.... mums are supposed to make things better and I am utterly powerless to help her through such a heartbreaking time. I really wasn't in the mood to give Albi a bath last night but I knew that if I hadn't bothered I would have regretted it today. In view of today's outcome... I'm a tad happy that I did make the effort after all. And it was nice to forget Sophie's predicament for a few hours.

I used to enjoy our members show when I was a member.
Tack and turnout never included a show though.
I don't own any hoof oil, wouldn't give that a thought. :)

Well done! What a lovely bunch of rosettes you have there :D
Hope your daughter's heart mends soon - helplessness is such a horrible feeling as a mother, but I'm sure you just being there was a massive help to her.

If anyone is interested, this is a vid of our attempt at handy pony and then the clear round! I don't think we'll be heading off to Hickstead any time soon...

Should also add that HP was timed, hence me trotting....

How cool is he in the handy pony class. Awesome. If have failed at getting back on, then every obstacle afterwards!

Brilliant!!!!! The handy pony looked fun, specially the having to wear a sack and jump about lol
That sack was definitely child-sized.... I struggled to get my tree trunks in it, as you can see. Albs didn't seem bothered by his mum pinging about though.....

Yeah.... so just found out today that our "fun" show was actually judged by a county level judge.... that explains everything. She was actually very lovely and gave us all useful pointers. She also messages YM to say "I should have said something to all of them at the end. I wanted to say to them that no matter what they did all day that the love and care and the community the horses were in was fantastic. so perhaps you could tell them all that. I do a lot of shows as you know and I was really delighted that they all were like 'family' and that is a very rare thing… very happy day."

I'm sorry but I haven't laughed that much in a long time. Just his face at everything is priceless and then when you are bouncing in the sack.... Haha! Brilliant and looks so much fun!

newrider.com