So why is NR so quiet?

orbvalley

Jan 15, 2008
France, South
Whats your thoughts? Nothing seems to be going on:( I'm reluctant to start threads as I think either a) its not intersting or b) it'll start a fight:oops:
look forward to others opnions.................

I have literally just sat down for a NR catch up.

Honestly, I think that some nasty responses to some threads have put people off posting. That's what my PM conversations seem to indicate anyway. But I guess that is to be expected in forum land, and it's up to us as a community to keep it going if we want it. I have been a member here since 2004, so some 14 years now. I have gone through stages of posting more often than others, but it's always been my 'go to' place to talk about all things horsey. I for one want it to continue and will make more effort to keep posting. So please don't be put off from starting threads. If no-one started threads, we wouldn't have anything to talk about.

Reactions: sophie33 and Jessey
I just dont know what to start threads about. I would post more about all my animals but I remind myself that this is a horse forum and people dont want to know about cows and sheep. If I want to post about them I should join those kind of forums. I have spent my whole life around farm animals and it's all I really know about. When I'm out with others, if the conversation isn't animal related, I am a mouse in the corner as I dont know what to say.
I think we've lost a few members again recently. Interesting about PM conversations. I get very few. Equally I dont send many though.
I notice that one forum that was set up has completely disappeared. It took alot of people from here. That seemed to gain lots of new members over the years too. So I wonder where they all went to. Cant believe they've all gone out of horse keeping. Is it just a fad people go through posting on forums. Do people just get fed up with posting and spend time with there horses instead. But with so many people having problems with injurys, looking for answers you'd think that they would search forums and join to ask for advice. Is there some other forums that people go to I wonder.

I just dont know what to start threads about. I would post more about all my animals but I remind myself that this is a horse forum and people dont want to know about cows and sheep. If I want to post about them I should join those kind of forums. I have spent my whole life around farm animals and it's all I really know about. When I'm out with others, if the conversation isn't animal related, I am a mouse in the corner as I dont know what to say.
I think we've lost a few members again recently. Interesting about PM conversations. I get very few. Equally I dont send many though.
I notice that one forum that was set up has completely disappeared. It took alot of people from here. That seemed to gain lots of new members over the years too. So I wonder where they all went to. Cant believe they've all gone out of horse keeping. Is it just a fad people go through posting on forums. Do people just get fed up with posting and spend time with there horses instead. But with so many people having problems with injurys, looking for answers you'd think that they would search forums and join to ask for advice. Is there some other forums that people go to I wonder.

I like reading about cows and sheep. I don't know much about either.

Reactions: Trewsers
Personally I like reading about anything anyone wants to talk about. I've not been posting because first Ziggy was off work recovering from laminitis, and now I'm too busy to ride! But I would be sorry if nobody posted any more.

Reactions: Trewsers
I used to be significantly more active on here than I am now. I still check most days, but since I had a career change and my horse experiences have settled down into a very boring and regular hum drum, I don’t have as much to say or offer up as help. I also spend so much time in front of a computer screen that I’m less inclined when I come home. I’m drained and my ability to interact is hugely reduced. I often write a response and then just give up half way through.
Social media habits are changing and evolving. A lot of folk decamped to a fb group as well, but even that has now all but disappeared just this year I feel.
I notice folk are more active on other platforms like Instagram or snapchat.
I still like the idea of a forum for support and certainly if I had a new horse again, I think I’d be here more often begging for support.
I’m also a little more reluctant to discuss things online as I get older. I know of a few more folk in real life who have presence on line. Believe me there have been a number of times lately I’ve wanted to sound off about issues I’ve got going on in my horse world, but I’m aware that anyone I know could be reading it and I just won’t chance it. It sucks but this is the way it is nowadays.
I have a couple of stories to tell though that I need to add to my diary, and will make the effort to write it at some point.

I've been trying to post stuff because I agree if we want it to keep going we all have to contribute, but it's that time of year that I don't spend much time with the horses to report on, I hate the dark.
I think I said before but I actually think the hacking thread detracts from the forum now, initially it was just to log hours/miles but now everyone seems to post their hacks/pictures there so there aren't individual threads to discuss on and you find you've missed something and the answer is it was shared there. I loose track on long threads like that, miss a few days then it's a marathon to catch up, the same with diaries really, I prefer to read individual threads as can do it quickly between other things and know which ones I've seen and which I haven't.
I'd like to hear more about your lot @chunky monkey its all good to learn about and maybe one day I'll get the land to get me some sheep, goats and cows :)

Reactions: Kite_Rider

I like hearing about sheep and cows.

I've been trying to post stuff because I agree if we want it to keep going we all have to contribute, but it's that time of year that I don't spend much time with the horses to report on, I hate the dark.
I think I said before but I actually think the hacking thread detracts from the forum now, initially it was just to log hours/miles but now everyone seems to post their hacks/pictures there so there aren't individual threads to discuss on and you find you've missed something and the answer is it was shared there. I loose track on long threads like that, miss a few days then it's a marathon to catch up, the same with diaries really, I prefer to read individual threads as can do it quickly between other things and know which ones I've seen and which I haven't.
I'd like to hear more about your lot @chunky monkey its all good to learn about and maybe one day I'll get the land to get me some sheep, goats and cows :)

Ah the hacking thread I do like because it's nice to just log my short rides and share - I'd never post about them on a separate thread because I don't really think they would get any response? They aren't that interesting lol

I’m just doing the usual with the wee man or getting him handled and walking him out, might try and take some pictures when we are out our walk.

I don’t post much as it generally doesn’t generate many replies. Also with my mindset lately posting have been an effort. So nothing to do with the board. The wee mans blog has suffered but I’m hoping to be adding more things soon

I could keep you all entertained with my stories of ginger but I think you would actually be bored also I. Can’t use nr at work anymore which is where I use to do most of my reading etc and hate typing longer posts on my phone

Reactions: Jessey
I’m quiet because work is crazy busy! Wait till it goes quite then you’ll not shit me up! I often feel bad because I sneak a quick read of new posts but don’t have time to answer then and when I get time I’ve forgotten....

Yes - I noticed that "other" forum has disappeared, that's what prompted me to come back here to see if it was still active.

I think that forums have been hit by facebook groups and I suspect that is where the "other" forum people have gone. Either that or on to Horse & Hound.

There is absolutely no reason to have "nasty" posts on forums but it needs strong admin to deal with them...

I don't have any horse stories to tell until I go out to see Scully in March :confused:

I'm using the hacking thread as a record of our activities . I've watched it for the past couple of years and really wanted to participate last year but it wasn't worth it, so this time I'm taking full advantage....but I haven't really added any pics.

newrider.com