Sod's Law. Why, when you've decided to send her back,does she suddenly start behaving

cariadbach10

Happily Hacking
Sep 16, 2007
Devon
Why oh why? After a month of rein snatching,jogging, headshyness, bolting and spooking I made the decision to send her back from trial.Difficult, but I would continue the search. I even arranged transport (thanks jaydevon!:))
The night before last her owner persuaded me to keep her until she had sold her other horse and had more room.I grudgingly agreed. She could just sit in the field for a few weeks, eh?
This evening I thought 'dammit' and took her out for a hack around the block with a friend.
Not one shy, even though a car whizzed up her backside and there were evil, horse eating pheasants everywhere.:p
No jogging. At all.
Not even a thought of a bolt and only a few halfhearted rein snatches.
I'm puzzled. What do I do now????

The only difference was I had put a flash noseband on her (not even tight enough as it really needed another hole). Surely that couldnt have changed her?

Opinions??!!!!

Could it be something psychological, in that maybe you weren't "trying" so hard, because you knew she was going back, so you didn't have to do this work, nor did it matter if she got it wrong.
Maybe knowing that made you relax more, and that put her at ease?

Time to settle maybe? My trial horse has been spooky stressed and jumping out of his skin as cars passed, hes been here 5 weeks now and just starting to relax , some horses need more time than others?

i think that u have had the pressure taken off you know shes is going so you have relaxed, i have been riding for 25 years, i can ride to the highest dressage level and jump (if i must) the biggest jump, ican also sit on the quietest horse and wind it up but then i can ride the most excitable beast that spooks at everything and calm it down... the reason i wind them up because i ride with my seat i quieten them down cause i dont use my hands and heels. ..by that i meen i can hold the biggest of horses with my seat and my balance. im relaxed.... pluto is a bit of a twat especially if hes own hes own, i either light a fag... or if scary noise in the distance i will sing to distract him.... works everytime (i am a bit mad) hubbys 1st horse when we went to c him, he reaed uo and pi***** off up a lane without riding him, he turned out to be soooooooooooo quite, what im saying is horses like us feed off people if yr nervous its like putting an electric shock to the horse yr sat on, ,,, ive also pm u.....

newrider.com