Softening leather

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
What is the best way to soften leather quickly? The keepers on my new bridle are still really tight after months of use, the main bits are fine, just need to soften up the keepers and stretch them a bit. I also have some cheap long boots for doing dressage, they are a bit long for me and need to drop round the ankle but I don't want to wear them loads to get the job done.

Have you considered heel risers for the boots until they drop enough?
Not sure about bridle -mine also has stiff keepers but I'm a lazy git and rarely clean it so if anyone can offer a quick fix I'll be interested....

Can I be nosey and ask what make your boots are? I am fascinated by smart long boots. I would love the Shires Norfolk ones but am too poor atm and can't justify them as I never leave home! lol

They need blocking not softening. They ought to have been done when the bridle was finished in the factory. One of my bete noires is sending bridles out without the keepers and runners being blocked properly.

These are what's needed to do a right job. But if you can fine a smooth stick of the right width and thickness you could block them yourself. http://www.saddlerycourses.com/images/tools/loop_sticks.jpg

Spoon or knife handles can often make do.

Slip it into the loop and lightly tap top and sides with a hammer. LIGHTLY, don;t belt it or you'll split the leather,

Have you considered heel risers for the boots until they drop enough?
Not sure about bridle -mine also has stiff keepers but I'm a lazy git and rarely clean it so if anyone can offer a quick fix I'll be interested....
No I hadnt thought about heel risers but look into it, they are okay once im on its walking in them they dig in the back of my knees.
I too am lazy about cleaning, it gets done every few months but thats about it. Looking for a quick fix, know you can get some softening spray from the cobblers but open to other ideas

newrider.com