solo hack! (sort of)

tbaynancy

Jul 27, 2009
Well, today I was inspired by Flipo's Mum and all their achievements and decided to try hacking out alone.

Before anyone gets too congratulatory - it lasted probably all of 10 minutes and we didn't leave the paddock area of the YO's property .... BUT... we did it!

Rode in the indoor arena for about 40 minutes - Rusty is loving the cool autumn weather and has, let's say, lots of impulsion:eek: Not complaining as it makes a great ride, but only want to do this in the indoor arena where I feel safer.

So, after our "schooling session" (using the term very loosely), I dismounted, put on my body protector, and led him outside. Horses in all the outdoor paddocks in various stages of eating, sleeping in the sun. Rusty had his ears forward, taking it all in, but wasn't acting silly. Decided to just go for it. Mounted up and we walked around all the paddocks, looking at the scenery, with me saying "what a good boy" the whole time (mostly to reassure myself).

At one point we turned towards where the trail begins but he didn't want to go there and I didn't want to push it (it does look a bit scary - like a tunnel because the bush is so thick). Next time I will try to just go a little way into the forest and then turn back.

Even as I write this it sounds ridiculous to celebrate something so trivial, but for me it is a big accomplishment :redface:

A walk starts with a first step?

Well done for pushing yourself, it sounds like you are really focused on getting some of your confidence back...well done:showoff:

Hey, don't be so quick to put yourself down - doesn't matter if it was 10 minutes or a couple of hours - solo hacking is still solo hacking..:skip:

Well done you :cloud9:

Its not about how long you were on or where you went - its about the fact that you had the nerve to give it a go!

Well done - it really is a big step to take but they get easier from now on in:D

Remember the old motto Capalldubh taught me - Bore yourself to Bravery. If you keep repeating something till it becomes boring then you can move on a bit and before you know it you are achieving all sorts:D

And the ear shot is where????;)

Its not about how long you were on or where you went - its about the fact that you had the nerve to give it a go!

Well done - it really is a big step to take but they get easier from now on in:D

Remember the old motto Capalldubh taught me - Bore yourself to Bravery. If you keep repeating something till it becomes boring then you can move on a bit and before you know it you are achieving all sorts:D

And the ear shot is where????;)

Promise to bring my camera next time!! Didn't even think about it - just sort of made myself do it before I chickened out. I like that "bore yourself to bravery" - I think that will work for me. I'll go out to the barn next on Tuesday, and will do the same thing.

YEEEEEAAAAHHH!! Well done mrs, well done Rusty. :bounce::biggrin:Thrilling isn't it?!
I'm so pleased for you tbay, thats brilliant and like SM says not about how far or where, if you saw where we went then you'd understand why we call it the 'nursery hacks' around our yard!
I've regressed slightly since my little jaunt. After the initial pride, I think I scared myself, silly bum!! Good luck for next time, and yes, ear shots - I managed to get one picture - facing my field as we returned, its the only time I was willing to actually take a hand off the reins but its an ear shot nevertheless!:redface:

That is no mean feat missus! Well done aplenty!! 10 mins is a bloomin long time on board when attempting something that pushes you out of your comfort zones! Great stuff.

Well done! That's a massive step forward! You must be feeling pretty great now and I bet Rusty is pretty proud of himself too. Double gold star for taking him out when he's feeling a bit frisky!

newrider.com