Solo hacking nerves

I really want to be able to hack out alone but being disabled means I can't remount without a leg up if I fall off. Or for that matter, catch my horse in order to get back on! Great reading everyone's advice, I'll be subjecting smartie to my tone deafness tomorrow :D

As a child the riding school always drilled into us that you never ride alone in case of an accident so I've now got a big fear of solo hacking that I *NEED* to get over so we can do the amount of training we need to do next year and so we don't always need a ride partner.

Magic and I managed my first couple of km solo a couple of months back (I know it's a teeny insignificant amount but it was a huge mental thing for me) but tomorrow I need to solo hack 7.5km each way to meet a friend for a hack and I'm having a bit of a panic in case Magic plays up as he hasn't been out for nearly a month, in case he won't stand still for me to remount after I've got off to unlock/relock gates etc etc.

What do you find are the best ways to keep your nerves under control?
Does solo hacking get easier/less scary the more you do it?
Hi I am in UK when I ride I hack out mostly on the roads wearing Hi Viz clothing on us both. that way there is always someone around if things go wrong. I do ground work clicker type, for stand and wait, to get him to stand for me to remount. if this helps you?

Forgot to say that I also sing a lot if I am nervous. as it helps with breathing and kids him that I am more confident than I really am. :)

Hi, There's a app called horse rider sos, you set it and I think it works off GPS if your stationary for a length of time you select it contacts your emergency number with your details, location. It may just give you a bit more confidence being out alone. x

newrider.com