Somebody used my tack

MAC66

Jun 18, 2009
Kent
When I went to get my tack from the tack room today I thought something was a bit odd - the saddle cover wasn't on it, the girth had been unbuckled on the right side (I always do it from the left) and the bridle wasn't in its usual place. My first thought was that perhaps I had forgotten to put it away the last time I used it and some else had done it for me but when I starting tacking up I found the bridle wasn't as I always leave it - I always put the martingale and reins on the throat latch and buckle it and buckle the drop part of the noseband to stop it falling off but everything was loose. Also one stirrup was on no. 9 hole and I use 16, the other was on 16. By this time I was getting a bit cross and wondering who could have been meddling with it, who would want to. I didn't like to think any of the liveries would play about with it. I had a word with the yard manager and she was mystified, we doubted that Mac's tack would fit any other horse. Anyway she's just rung me to say that a man who rides one of the livery horses had been to ride at the weekend, I knew he hadn't been over for months because he had a heart attack ages ago and hadn't ridden. My tack is fairly like the other horses, they have the same type of bit and are both black so we concluded that the poor man had got confused and used my tack by mistake. I feel sorry for the horse, I'm sure my tack wouldn't have fitted it very well, especially the bit, and how did the man ride with one stirrup 7 holes longer than the other! At least I don't have to be suspicious of the other liveries anymore.

I wonder did he let the stirrup down to dismount? Unlikely - but I am damned if I can come up with a better answer for such very odd stirrup lengths. I would be furious if someone had used my tack, but in the scenario you describe my anger would have evaporated into sadness and a wish to help the poor chap sort himself out next times he comes to ride. There but for fortune and all that...or I might very well soon be that person etc. etc. :confused:

Reactions: Rubic and MAC66
Maybe he put the stirrup on the hole number before he got on, the maybe he looked at the saddle and realised his error and freaked out a bit so put yours back?

I wasn't very happy, it put doubts in my mind about my fellow liveries but I'm sure it was a genuine mistake. It would help to stop it happening again if we all had names on our saddle racks, several of the horses have people from outside riding them. We were all shocked when he had his heart attack as he was out riding at the time and on his own. Fortunately one of the other liveries was returning from her hack and came across him. She organised an ambulance and got help from the yard to get the horse back. When he came to the yard a few weeks ago he brought her a big bouquet of flowers for looking after him. The only problem is he is a stubborn old so and so and although we offer to help him, he would rather manage by himself. I can understand a bit how he feels because I sometimes don't like it when people want to do things for me like getting Mac in or putting up a hay net. I may be getting on a bit now but I'm not yet incapable, as you say Cortrasna there could well be a time when I do need help and then it may not be forthcoming.

Reactions: Cortrasna
Aww poor old man, normally I too would be livid if someone had used my tack but under the circumstances you have to feel for him.
We have an 87 year old man on our yard who was forced to move to our yard or give up his much loved horse by his family and although he doesn't ride anymore he's at the yard every day at 7.00 am on the dot to sort out his old mare, I offered to help him when I first came on the yard but he is adamant he can manage by himself, no one else on our yard really likes him as he can be a grumpy old so and so, but I get on really well with him and totally admire his stubborn commitment to his horse.

Aww poor old man, normally I too would be livid if someone had used my tack but under the circumstances you have to feel for him.
We have an 87 year old man on our yard who was forced to move to our yard or give up his much loved horse by his family and although he doesn't ride anymore he's at the yard every day at 7.00 am on the dot to sort out his old mare, I offered to help him when I first came on the yard but he is adamant he can manage by himself, no one else on our yard really likes him as he can be a grumpy old so and so, but I get on really well with him and totally admire his stubborn commitment to his horse.

I can see this being me eventually. I don't think it would be easy to sell Mac because of the problems he had with his hocks and I couldn't be sure that anyone would take his limitations into consideration. So we're stuck with each other to the bitter end.

Aw I am glad there was a genuine good reason this happened. I was about to regale you with the story of how my saddle used to mysteriously be thrown on the floor and my bridle was often twisted as though someone had taken it apart and put it back all wrong....
Anyway, glad it was not a cheeky person who had borrowed your tack.

newrider.com