Spending Habits

Not critising really, just a query but cant you buy books ebooks. I know its not the same as a book in your hand but isnt that better in the current crisis than putting a delivery driver at risk. I know it supports companies by buying books etc. The big boys like google will get richer from it but isnt it safer.
I only have a smart phone. No computer, kindle, ipad.

I’m very minimalist anyway, I only buy what I need not what I want, been like that for a long time.
We did make an exception today though, kind of figured if there is a chance we’re going to die we might as well enjoy what we have while we can and as we’re staying home we ordered a sound bar to make our ‘film nights’ that little bit more like the cinema experience. Bad me, but for once I just thought f**k it! The delivery drivers are out anyway, regardless of any single item I order and they don’t need to come anywhere near us to drop off a parcel.

I am having to assess if I can keep my private health cover, which I have had for years. When Buddy is written off in July probably won't renew and ho pe for the best. Seeing what i can save on essentials i.e. try to get some of the business stuff put on hold for 3 to 6 months. It's the not knowing if/when we will get any money in from the business that is the real worry.

Yes I suspect he did mean that. But when I run out of books I will need more. It would be a bulk buy from one place. If nobody buys anything more business's will go under?
I would still order from small businesses if I need things, just trying to avoid the unnecessary. I have ordered weed killer because if I leave it later it will be too late and I'll be overrun again and I have to maximise my grass this year. I need some fly spray which I would normally order online but I'll be getting that from a small business locally for now.
Delivery drivers don't have to come near you to deliver but I wonder how many people are touching that package as it goes through various distribution centres etc.

I would still order from small businesses if I need things, just trying to avoid the unnecessary. I have ordered weed killer because if I leave it later it will be too late and I'll be overrun again and I have to maximise my grass this year. I need some fly spray which I would normally order online but I'll be getting that from a small business locally for now.
Delivery drivers don't have to come near you to deliver but I wonder how many people are touching that package as it goes through various distribution centres etc.

Everything I have delivered gets quarantined in the lounge. Mr t opens doors so I don’t touch anything and we place it in a corner and leave for 72 hours. Then we open and deal with the contents. Still washing hands etc afterwards. I’ve always been a germ phobe so this isn’t a new procedure really - however I used to leave things one day and have increased to three.

Reactions: Bodshi and Jessey
I am just trying to think back when we started ragwort pulling last year.

Some of the shops that could stay open closed this weekend. But they are still offering a delivery service, so that's good.

I normally start pulling it at Christmas, those are probably left over from the previous year, but I get new little ones through Jan and Feb but it really ramps up in March. It's on my list of things to do today.

I have plenty of grass, just got loads of horses and donkeys who aren't allowed to eat it, ironic isn't it.

I have plenty of grass, just got loads of horses and donkeys who aren't allowed to eat it, ironic isn't it.
It's not been an issue for me until the last addition, Jess and the boys are best off it for most of the year and what I had was more than enough for their winter grazing. But Indie can have it so I'd like to graze him part time at least. It's also that those on the track are better off not in a belly deep sea of nettles, none of them like that and bare dirt just let's weeds take over.

I am loathe to buy much atm because I'm so worried about getting it delivered. I don't want any strangers wandering onto the yard and if something doesn't fit into the milk churn or Oscar the steel bin then it ends up here with a person. And there are some persons who won't leave stuff even if there is a raging great sign saying "parcels" lol So I am a bit wary. Anything other than envelope size and all that. Then it has to go into quarantine.

Just revisiting this.
With non essential shops forecast to open in three weeks, how do you think our spending could go?

For me personally, I will be avoiding the town. The government pretty much wants to ban the car and restart green. I still see a split. Cars using retail parks designed for them and non cars in town.
I can see more online banking to save going in / contactless. I have done that as one for delivery wouldn't without it.
We have narrow streets, so guess what, one way walking is being considered.

I think over time people will just forget about the virus and habits will return to how they were before for many.
Sure theyll be those that have now been forced to shop online and will continue.
Theyll be those that still like to visit shops though to feel clothes. Even if they dont buy. Window shopping type people.
Online shopping i think will make people get into more debt over time though. It already has but i think it will get worse. I think its to easy to get the card out to pay for stuff. When people hand over actual cash for payment they are more money conscious.

Reactions: Dorry
Our customer numbers are down overall but average spend is up a humongous 36% currently. I don't expect it will last as talking to customers they are splurging having been home for so long and not going out. I think all the shops should try and cash in initially as I reckon once this is over things are going to get very tough

Myself personally I am spending less because if things do get rough who's to say who will still have a job in 6 months time

It will change people’s habits I think, cash has been on the way out for years, even before Covid, the only time I’ve used cash in the last however long was to pay my farrier, now he’s taking bank transfers so won’t need cash at all.
As for going shopping, the single biggest thing I will miss is a mooch around a garden centre, that’s one place where I do love to ‘window shop’ but to be honest on the rare visits I used to make I did spend quite a bit.
I heard that changing rooms are to remain closed in clothes shops, no loss there, even back in the day when I was young and had a good figure I hated them and would avoid at all costs, but again I don’t actually remember last time I bought something from an actual shop, oh actually I do, it was a picture for the hall when I was getting the house ready to go on the market, from a charity shop, but other than that most of my shopping is online anyway.
Despite the purchase of some art supplies and paying more for shopping at Tesco online instead of Aldi I’ve actually managed to save quite a bit by not being at work.
I guess everything will be bought online by me for the foreseeable. Or at least until they get a vaccine, if they ever do. :(

My habits haven’t changed much, I’m spending more on groceries but that’s because I’m cooking more while I have the time, once I’m back to work properly I’ll be eating on the fly again. I’ve been avoiding town shopping for years, apart from the occasional tack shop visit I prefer to buy online anyway.

Reactions: Trewsers
I haven't been in a shop since lockdown - I filled the lorry up with fuel a few days ago, while it was still cheap and my trip to the garage was the nearest I have come to a shop. I've been to the feed shop, but I ring my order through and pay in advance so just need to pick the stuff up and it's a big open warehouse with no-one else about when I've been anyway.

I did most of my shopping online anyway, but I don't think I'll be visiting shops any time soon. Not so much because of the virus but because of the socially distanced queues. Nothing I hate more than waiting about when I could be doing something useful.

My spending habits haven't changed to be honest. Still had fuel, insurance, livery, bills, vets bills, car bills etc. Nothing changed with my outgoings. I haven't bought anything I didn't need for while as I'm very happy with what I have these days. I've sold a couple of things that weren't working for me anymore and replaced with what did. Comet outgrew his scoot boots for example, I sold and bought the next size up. I've ordered a few things for mum online as she was getting quite down been stuck at home so dad put £100 in my bank and she had a trip to the shops via eBay for some new clothes. Essential? Perhaps not but it cheered my mum up and that was worth it for us. I did spend sone money in the coop on some lovely hanging baskets for her for mothers days. I have stopped online for years though as i don't like busy places. I do our weekly essential shop,milk, bread etc in the coop and I've actually found it better during lockdown as you can actually breath in the shop and it's not ram packed.

It will change people’s habits I think, cash has been on the way out for years, even before Covid, the only time I’ve used cash in the last however long was to pay my farrier, now he’s taking bank transfers so won’t need cash at all.
As for going shopping, the single biggest thing I will miss is a mooch around a garden centre, that’s one place where I do love to ‘window shop’ but to be honest on the rare visits I used to make I did spend quite a bit.
I heard that changing rooms are to remain closed in clothes shops, no loss there, even back in the day when I was young and had a good figure I hated them and would avoid at all costs, but again I don’t actually remember last time I bought something from an actual shop, oh actually I do, it was a picture for the hall when I was getting the house ready to go on the market, from a charity shop, but other than that most of my shopping is online anyway.
Despite the purchase of some art supplies and paying more for shopping at Tesco online instead of Aldi I’ve actually managed to save quite a bit by not being at work.
I guess everything will be bought online by me for the foreseeable. Or at least until they get a vaccine, if they ever do. :(

We are buying online too until they get a vaccine (if they ever do - that's my mantra!).
We've shopped on line for a long long time. We rarely have cash either. I've never liked touching money (germ phobe alert) as I think about all the hands it's passed through !

newrider.com