Spring is in the air

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Despite everywhere being saturated the days are noticeably longer, what grass hasn't been turned to mud is growing, and the trees are budding. Little Un is acting very much like the stereotypical Welsh cob, and while he hasn't quite started breathing fire I think that his shoes have struck sparks a few times! He was play spooking yesterday - not appreciated when a slip in the mud has left me with a very sore back - and was plain uncooperative for the farrier today since all he wanted was to get out. His legs are shedding (the rest of him is clipped) but grooming them out is proving "fun" since he doesn't do grooming and I'm struggling to bend.

If we could just have some dry weeks so the mud goes then I think it might feel like we've turned a corner and spring is with us.

We still have lots of mud but today and yesterday have been beautiful. Our daffs are peeking hopefully and Zi is out and about without his rug. We have buds on the dog roses too - madam ate some the other day!

Spring is definitely springing here too, I noticed today that Dan is shedding himself out pretty well, the daffs are blooming and snowdrops are just starting to peek out (that feels like it's happening in the wrong order), I'm really hoping the weather gets the memo soon ;) :)

Reactions: Cortrasna
I was looking at a bramble bush this morning in the field and it had lots of green leaves on it.
The field i moved the boys onto at the weekend is absolutely sodden. I did think it was a bit silly of me as the patch they were on was actually drier but no grass. Its been rested for 7 weeks since the cows came off and looked green even though theres no length in it. The boys have found the grass though. Theyve only eaten one bale of hay in 3 days. Instead of a bale a day.
I took the neck peice of Billy's rug today. Guess what rain forcast for most of tomorrow. I think it might be going back on in the morning.

Reactions: Cortrasna
Same as chunky monkey - getting through 2 to 2 and half bales a day past 3 weeks with all the horrendous rain, storms and mud. Today they have barely touched half a bale and are all spread out pulling those little green shoots with their tweezers! Bliss! Miller didn't even glance up at me when I went in to check should I load up their hay this afternoon, I almost did a happy little dance but feared someone might spot me and intervene on humanitarian grounds ! ;)

Ginger has not touched the hay in days so stopped putting any out. He will be turned back out 24/7 on Friday night after two weeks in due to the weather

we have frost this morning so everyone on the yard guzzling. We have snowdrops, daffs, and I am hoping all the primulas and polyanthus I have just planted survive.

This evening I've even seen the rooks flying round with twigs in their beaks for nest building :)
I noticed this yesterday too, a welcome sign that spring is definitely on the way :) Oh and the woodpeckers are busy hammering away.

Beautiful again here. Woke to a light dusting of settled hail but now it's really warm out there. It's all melted in the sandschool too. It was nice sitting on the yard this morning in between chores. There was a real warmth in the sun. Everyone snoozed. The kittens finished their leaping about and settled into the sun on top of the straw in the byre. Mackeral (mum cat) settled into the windowsill and I could have nodded off too!

newrider.com