Stabling at events.....

Monty

Nov 16, 2001
On a farm
Visit site
I've never stayed over ata show before and put my horse in the stabling that's offered. At the end of June I go to Hickstead to the National Para Dressage Championships, and I'll be needing stabling for Max.

What's it like??Anybody know?? How secure is it?? How safe is it?? I jst can't imagine what it's like. And I certainly can't imagine entrusting Max's care to someone else, without my supervision. Oh dear......Maybe I should just stay at home, this is all new to me, and rather terrifying. Max is a horse in a lifetime, and I don't want anything to happen to him. The thought of riding at Hickstead is scary, but if anything happened to Max, I don't know what I'd do.

Reassurance required please....or NOT as the case may be!!!!:eek:

Stabling varies, but it is usually made of metal with a tarpaulin roof. Unless Max is a total thug in the box (ie tries to kick the wall down) he will be fine!!

Get yourself there - you've earned your place and Max will thoroughly enjoy sharing your glory! Good luck, and keep us posted :D

My friend kept her horse at Hickstead for a couple of days in June last year, the stable was basically a strong wooden construction and quite a good size. They were in rows of about 8 or 10. There was no flooring, it was set on the grass, my friend put woodchips down. I thought it was quite good!

The wooden kind with the canvas roof are usually fine, just check for nails etc when you get it. The totally canvas over a few metal frame pieces are not for me. One of ours will stay in one but not the other two. No good at all if the horse kicks, rubs or leans. They can all be on the small side too.

Ring them before you book and ask what sort they have ordered and it should put your mind at rest.

If you aren't happy there are often a few livery yards around the big show venues which will offer overnight stabling, it might be a few miles away but usually better stabling.

I personally always put my mobile number on the front of the stable and try to stay on site, although we have occasionally used the travel lodges at places like Arena UK.

Stabling is totally diy including clearing to the muckheap at the end. I think you will need to take help as you have to cart water etc.You would need to take the scooter. I personally would try to stable at a livery yard away from the ground.

The people accomodation on site at Hickstead (bunks and seperate shower block) would not be suitable for you either

Hey, no chickening out! I agree that you need to check out what's suitable and what's not, but the replies so far have been encouraging. I'm sure you'll be able to find somewhere suitable for both you and Max.

From what I've seen of Max, he seems a fairly adaptable fellow. Look but don't spook might be his motto. I am assuming you are taking help, so get planning!

My little dressage mare is naturally quite timid and not very confident, we stayed at the trailblazer dressage finals for 2 nights 3 yrs ago, the explantation of the stables mentioned above is very accurate, she coped fine and I really didn't need to worry, horse just seem to adapt very well.

Thankyou

Those replies were very helpful thankyou. And thankyou for the tips from those of you who who are familiar with my disability situation, i.e eml and Sparky Lily.

I'll see if I can find any livery yards around hickstead. And it would jjust be too brilliant if I found B&B too!!! I'll keep you posted. I think I'll feel more relaxed once I've sorted all this.

newrider.com