standing martingales

~*sugarlump*~

rather be riding...
May 22, 2005
at a BSJA show the other week i saw a fair few horses jumping with standing martingales.
now i dont know whether i was told incorrectly but i thought you weren't meant to jump in standing martingales as theyre legs could get caught (or something along those lines)

is this right or wrong?

was also amazed by the amount of draw reins on show

thanks x

Just looking on the rules and Yes I think they are allowed. TBH I would never jump a horse in a standing martingale as the horse can not stretch it's neck, which is pretty important with jumping!
But what do I know!

Yeah am sure I was always taught no jumping standing martingale as horse couldn't stretch properly on landing. But likewise they seem v popular at the moment, particularly so with the hunting crowd around here, and they certainly jump!!

Maybe as time has moved on so has opinions on this???

if they are fitted correctly (ie so that when they are fitted, they are long enough to go up into the horses gullet) there is nothing wrong with jumping in them.

I have used standing martingales for years, espiecially for hunting, and SJ, and have never had a problem.

they are probably better for the horse than an incorrectly fitted running martingale- the standing acts on the horses nose whereas a running acts on the horses mouth.

Lauraandsolo I guess it's each to their own then! If they are allowed in BSJA rules it's certainly not an offense to wear one. But what I don't understand (hopefully you can enlighten me:eek:) is I thought a standing martingale was used to control the hight of the head? Therefore, if it restricts the movement how can the horse stretch and have full use of its head and neck, over a fence?
And if it has an elastic bit does it not defeat the object of wearing one?

Very interested to learn more about this, as my views have always been a big No No! What is the reason for using a standing martingale to jump? Any answers welcome, always keen to learn.:cool:

Around here you typically see people jump with standing martingales. Running martingales are illegal for hunter shows, and I hardly ever see anyone use them for schooling. Standing martingales are so ubiquitous on the Hunter circuit I never even questioned their usage until a few years ago. I've heard several eventing riders criticize there usage, for the same reasons mentioned above. I've jumped and watched many horses jump up to 3ft. (some even higher) while using a standing martingale with NO elastic. I haven't seen or experienced any problems because they were using a standing martingale. But I wouldn't feel comfortable jumping any higher than 3ft, or using one on a green horse. And all in all I think running martingales are much better, but tradition can be hard to break.

Last edited:
when i lived in VA, USA all the hunters were in standing - when i moved over i was a bit like *you have them in standing martingales for jumping?!* and a bit shocked...
but it's common practice and when fitted correctly i had no trouble with them. I hunted and competed and jumped over 3' in them no worries.... and of course all polo ponies have them so v used to seeing them...
understand the worries though as also had a friend who's horse reared, lost balence and fell backwards - landed on him and broke his pelvis - they say the accident was because of the standing..... scary thoughts...

OK, im feeling brave. I now know i was wrong but yes, i used to jump in a standing martingale. And i have a very good reason - I wanted to live! My old horse - who died 2 years ago today :( was a t-bred. Yep, she was a bit mad and yep, people had told me to put her to sleep. But i never. Before i studied Parelli with her (honestly guys, i tried everything, from paying people to get on her - grand prix dressage riders etc etc) she was mad! If i never jumped in a standing martingale i had black eyes and blood gushing from my nose. Running martinglaes were hopeless. But i will admit, i never did anything big with her, only jumps i could physically jump myself!

But yes, ive heard that you shouldn't due to them stretching on the way down.

Lauraandsolo I guess it's each to their own then! If they are allowed in BSJA rules it's certainly not an offense to wear one. But what I don't understand (hopefully you can enlighten me:eek:) is I thought a standing martingale was used to control the hight of the head? Therefore, if it restricts the movement how can the horse stretch and have full use of its head and neck, over a fence?
And if it has an elastic bit does it not defeat the object of wearing one?

Very interested to learn more about this, as my views have always been a big No No! What is the reason for using a standing martingale to jump? Any answers welcome, always keen to learn.:cool:

:) yep, they are used to control the head, but more for if the horse throws their head up and down- potentially whacking the rider in the face- which is bloody painful! this is an upward movement.
If you think of a horse jumping, their neck is stretched forwards- and it's not going to be as high as if their head is in the air, if you follow?
I've never used an elastic one- but I suppose it's to stop the horses nose being jarred if it throws it's head up. or so that you can have it tighter than you should do really.

It's a bit like a correctly fitted running martingale- when they're fitted properly, it doesn't look like they'd work, but they do.

:) yep, they are used to control the head, but more for if the horse throws their head up and down- potentially whacking the rider in the face- which is bloody painful! this is an upward movement.
If you think of a horse jumping, their neck is stretched forwards- and it's not going to be as high as if their head is in the air, if you follow?
I've never used an elastic one- but I suppose it's to stop the horses nose being jarred if it throws it's head up. or so that you can have it tighter than you should do really.

It's a bit like a correctly fitted running martingale- when they're fitted properly, it doesn't look like they'd work, but they do.

Brill. Thanks for that! I am enlightened!!:D Luckily I don't have the need for a standing martingale, but I'm glad I understand it's uses for jumping.

Cheers:p

i always ride my pony in one, i dont jump him, but i'd probably still use it if i did.
because of the shortness of his neck the running martingales dont work on him, and yes the full size standing is probably still a bit on the large side but i would hate to think i was forcing his head down and restricting him.
personally i think there is nothing wrong with them my pony gets strong out hacking sometimes and it jut keeps him in check because once he gets that stubby little neck of his up in the air theres nothing you can do to stop him!

I dont like the use of standing martingales for jumping-elasticated or not, a horse has to stretch over the fence to get himself over it properly & a standing martingale doesnt allow that fully.

I dont like the use of standing martingales for jumping-elasticated or not, a horse has to stretch over the fence to get himself over it properly & a standing martingale doesnt allow that fully.

totally agree!

if you are using one, it obviously means the horse cannot stretch to full capacity to jump, and if its loose enough that it can, then its not doing anything! i always like to see a well schooled horse jumping rather than one tied down with gadgets:mad:

i always ride my pony in one, i dont jump him, but i'd probably still use it if i did.
because of the shortness of his neck the running martingales dont work on him, and yes the full size standing is probably still a bit on the large side but i would hate to think i was forcing his head down and restricting him.
personally i think there is nothing wrong with them my pony gets strong out hacking sometimes and it jut keeps him in check because once he gets that stubby little neck of his up in the air theres nothing you can do to stop him!

I agreed! Nowt wrong with them. I used one for sometime on my mare.... long story and after bolting across a dual carriage way with me. My reason for using one then was purely to stop her getting way above the bit and bolting.

Just never used one for jumping, but I'm glad to say (thanks to lauraandsolo!) I at least understand their use in the jumping field!

newrider.com