Starter bit for newly backed pony

Sorry, but I wouldn't be riding him in that case. I would do more ground work. If something spooks him that rider is bucked off.

I went through the taking off with mine initially. But she learnt the feel of the bit backed up with my voice. She is in an eggbutt, that's what she liked over a full cheek.
I didn't get on until she was settled with everything first.

You need to get someone at his head and long rein from the side to start with until he if confident and knows what's required of him then.

^^what they said and my recommendation would be a full cheek snaffle with a french link or lozenge, either ask for it back or try to get another one, I dont think a hanging cheek is suitable at all.

I also wouldn't be getting on any youngster that hasn't been long lined and also was tanking off and trying to boot people.

I would get your bit back or get another one as I prefer a frenchlink fulmer or loose ring for mouthing and backing

A hanging cheek has been proven not to have any poll action, but to simply stabilize the mouthpiece more than a D/loose ring etc. so wouldn't have any issue with continuing to use it if he seems settled in it.
Re the long reining its a great thing for them to learn, it helps them deal with things behind them (great when you start getting out and about) and it teaches them not to get upset if something catches round their back legs (I've had brambles round legs and stuck in tails many a time) and it can help with their understanding of the bit for sure but I would say it isn't necessarily essential to starting a horse, when I was young we never long lined them, just lunged and got on.

I was going to put Summer Storm in a fulmer French link snaffle to start him..... But I have lent it out So I put him in a hanging cheek happy mouth to help with steering as he hasn't been long reined....

Would this be a good bit for him or can you suggest a better bit ? He seems to like it.

I've always used a fulmer with a copper roller but like Jessey says recent research has shown poll action on a hanging cheek is minimal. I don't progress on to ridden work until they long line. It's about them listening to the person in charge (you!) and if they won't do that on the ground they may be trickier under saddle. Just my experience.

I would say it isn't necessarily essential to starting a horse, when I was young we never long lined them, just lunged and got on.

I agree long lining isn't essential but for me, if I find an issue with something it becomes more important to deal with it. If he kicks out and tanks off then there is a gap there. Whether in his understanding, confidence, knowledge or whatever. Can he tolerate ropes/lines all over him? Is he OK with people behind him? Can you drive from behind as well as lead from the front? I'd try and work out what he is struggling with when long reining first, deal with those ptoblem

newrider.com