Storage shed - metal or wooden?

Jul 15, 2005
Essex
I've decided to move my horses to a rented field. I need a shed to keep all my feed and lotions and potions in, but not valuable stuff.

I have been looking a metal sheds, which are fire retardant. Do you think these are better than wooden sheds? They are also rodent proof, which is great when storing feed. :)

think you answered your own question. much better metal than wood, except maybe for insulation against frost, so if you can put in insulation and then ply board inside you will be all set!:)

Do I need insulation even if the shed will be sheltered by a big hedge/trees and the field shelter on the other side? I'm trying to think what would be damaged by the frost? :confused:

Hi, I prefer wooden sheds, so much easier to put hooks and shelves up.

Anything chewable can be kept in plastic or metal dustbins, old chest freezers are brilliant for storage.

Not sure if metal sheds need to be fixed to concrete, my wooden shed is just stood on paving slabs.

I think I posted this on your last post.
we weighed up all the options and went for a shipping container.
It cost 800 with delivery. 20foot by 8 foot.
They are insurance approved, if you get the ones where a metal box covers the padlock clasp.
we get no condensation as it is vented.
only draw back is it has no windows, but this makes tack and rugs more secure.
also just sits straight on the ground, with bricks to level.

agree with last post, shipping containers good for security. Our old tack room was one, good for insurance. The problem with frost is because of the condensation tendency. But if you have a frost setting heater like for a greenhouse this shouldnt be an issue, and its easy to attach wooden battens for tack or racks etc. I like the metal ones for security strength and fire protection.

newrider.com