strange plaits- quite worried

J Leahy

Apr 7, 2010
Hi I don't know if I am making mountains out of mole hills..... but, I went to visit the neds this afternoon whilst I was waiting for the saddler and as I was stroking Odin I found an odd plait in his mane. I was very thin and sort of wound round in a loop. I haven't put any plaits in his hair and I checked with my family and they haven't either.

I have read snippets about people finding odd plaits in their horses hair and now I am all of a panic that someone is stalking him to nab him, I have just been and bought enormous padlocks. I imagine its just messing around and not sinister but it is a bit odd What should I do has this happened to anyone else?

The saddle said it was due to rolling but it certainly looked like a plait.

Last edited:
Eggwub gets these quite often. Every time there's a scare about ponies being marked, I fret for a while, but really I know they are just something he does himself. Don't know how he does it - just one of his many talents I suppose. Don't worry.

oh really that makes me feel a a lot better its like fort knox in their field now, still better safe than sorry!!! How many and what sort do you have? I have a n f, welsh cob and a norwiegan fjord (he is loaned to me, but he i like to think of him as mine:D)

I've had times of panic about these too - but am pretty convinced our ponies get them from rolling & the wind, as they have long manes.

Hi. I have a 16.3 ISH (Harvey) which my OH rides mainly, but I get on occasionally. I also have 2 shetlands, Grace and Eggwub. Eggwub is the clever one.

The cobs I look after, who have long manes, get them. I call them Fairy plaits!!
As I reckon that the Fairies make them in the night ;) :D
They take ages to comb out, they do a very thorough job!!!

This is something the wind can do, but would agree that it is possibly a good idea to look at your security

newrider.com