Stupid people's amnesty....

Roxy's Mum

Jul 21, 2009
Dorset
For those who listen to Radio 1 in the mornings, the Chris Moyles show have been doing a feature for people to text in about random things they didn't know until recently or used to believe when they were little - some of them are HILARIOUS!

So figured we could do the same on here....

My Mum, for nearly 50 years of her life, at Christmas would sing "Good King Wences Last Looked Out" and figured that it was always a typo when it was printed as "Good King Wenceslas".

One person text in to say she thought the Taj Mahal was the king of India.

Another person thought that putting on a bet both ways at the horses meant the horse would run the race, then turn around and run back again.

One person only discovered recently that teeth aren't bones....

Over to you lot!

LOL!
Mine are a bit dull.
I didn't realise that steak and kidney pie wasn't filled with kidney beans (I'm a veggie so never had it). Someone just told me the other day that I should just keep thinking thats what it is.

I didn't realise dandelions became dandelion clocks. Only occured to me a couple of weeks ago when the field was filled with dandelions one day and clocks the next.

I always thought the song Last Christmas by Wham had some french/ german in it when they say 'sieve me von teese' which actually is 'save me from tears'.

Sure there are more, I accept a lot of things for a quiet life.

When we were young we used to watch Blanktey Blank, the people used to come on stage on a revolving stage sat at their desks, when they had finished the game, the winner would step up to the host and the loser would go back on the revolving stage.

My mother told me and my brother than the loser gets his/her head chopped off on the way round for losing!:redcarded: We believed this for years, and would often discuss the fact that the loser was better and nicer and did not deserve to get there head chopped off! I must have been 9 or 10 before I found out the truth:giggle: < but not a very nice thing to tell your children!:frown:

lol Nat17 - I love your mum's thinking! You've reminded me of another couple.
I used to be obsessed about orange juice when I was a kid and my first time trying coke my sister told me I had to wait until all the bubbles had gone out of it before I could drink it.Believed that for quite a while.
My sister also told me the first time I tried using deoderant at night, that I would suffocate while I slept because I wouldn't be able to sweat and breathe.

Brilliant! I was cracking up listening to this on my way to work this morning!

I was there, all smug, thinking I know all these, I must be intelligent...and then Roxy's Mum, you go and write this...

My Mum, for nearly 50 years of her life, at Christmas would sing "Good King Wences Last Looked Out" and figured that it was always a typo when it was printed as "Good King Wenceslas".

:redface:

I can't think of any others, but trust me that there definately will have been some, I just cant remember them.

My friend has a few...she used to think a Tandoori was a child of Indian decent (said in the most PC way I could think of!), she thought the Bermuda Triangle was the green triangle chogolate you got in Qulaity Street's, and she believed that a haggis really was a beastie with two legs longer than the other so it could run round the tops of the hills! And she's Scottish!!!!! :giggle:

I have loads. I used to believe everything as a child. :redface: One thing that my partner takes the micky out of me for though:

I always thought when people said "go up to Scotland" or "down to London" that it meant that there was actually a hill on the UK, so you went uphill and downhill. I thought, and asked once not too long ago "Is it easier to walk from John O'Groats to Lands end than the other way around?" to be laughed at... obviously.

Then on a side note from that, I was told trains can't go up hill. Which always really confused me that you could get a train from London to Scotland. I figured that you must arrive in Scotland underground and in London high up. Which was confirmed when I arrived at St Pancrus platform and had to go downstairs to ground level. I never went to Scotland so just assumed there was some underground station somewhere.

How stupid am I :smug:

Oooh, just remembered another. I stayed at a friends one night as a child, probably about 9. They took me to church the next morning, my first time in church- I ate some bread and when I got home I told my dad. He informed me I was very lucky because I hadn't been christened and children that haven't been christened set on fire when they went to church (my parents have a very strange sense of religion and I am more witch than catholic so to speak). I have been scared of churches ever since and especially as a child, I really believed I would internally combust. :help:

when i was younger i always thought that the sun and the moon was just one thing in the sky with the sun on one side and the moon on the over and it just turned round changing day to night :giggle:

When we were little and lived in Australia we use to have a caravan and have to drive FOREVER for our holidays. When my little sister was annoying us we would say 'Look that caravan is following us. It's not our caravan Sally. Tell it to stop following us.' And she would spend ages turned around telling the caravan off for following us. 'We are going on our holidays, we don't want you following us, go home'. Used to crack us up!

I could never get my head around the signs about lifts and fire 'In case of fire do not use lift.' Should you never use a lift in case there is a fire? Really confused my young mind.

My Dad once told us when we complained about lumps in the gravy one dinner time just to get on and eat them. We said "what are they?" he replied "sheeps eyeballs"!!!!!!!!!!! lol, I believed that one for ages.....(was only about 4 at the time!!!!)

Laurageegee, glad I'm not alone, I always used to think that when I see To Let signs......lol

I was having supper with a friend of about 35, when she folder her kipper in half and found out they were not flat fish after all and were in fact herrings!

I reached the grand old age of about 12 before I realised the little black balls in rabbit and pheasant were actually shot and not just things they came with naturally!

My neice, when she was about 5-6 would not go into a ladies loo if she was wearing trousers as the picture clearly showed a lady in a dress!

Last edited:
Another person thought that putting on a bet both ways at the horses meant the horse would run the race, then turn around and run back again.

We had a race night for riding club and one of my friends said that, bless her! Mind you she is infamous for her daft comments, and also wondered why another friend had two toilets in her bathroom (actually a toilet and a bidet!)

I really believed for absolutely years that a fox screeching at night was the good auld 'Banshee' and when one heard it (apparently) it meant someone you knew was dying! I spent many a stressed day worrying until I spotted friends, family etc. still alive and kicking.:redface:

Did come in useful though - I used it as a 'hinge' in one of the books I wrote!:biggrin:

Was also told many a time that telling one of my many brothers to 'shudup' was extremely rude - but if I said it clearly and correctly (shut up) it was acceptable!:confused::confused: I guess they were more concerned with my diction than the sentiments behind it!:giggle: Still think of that whenever I tell one of my lot to 'SHUT up' rather than 'shudup'!

The other horrific bit of stuff I remember is the golden rule - if I ever used bad language, told a lie, or stole anything, nothing much would happen to me but my father would probably die and go to hell! Phew and holy jeezus - talk about a catholic guilt trip!:giggle: Believed that one for yonks.:poop:

oh gawd! i was the most gullible child EVER!

- my uncle could lay eggs. he demonstrated this by pulling out a colander with an egg in it from behind him

- i fell for the 'look my finger is now in two halves' trick until i was 10

- i honestly believed my mother used to be a hedgehog and my dad found her in the woods. my dad had even adorned mum's passport with a black blob on her nose to prove this. i believed this until i was 6 :redface:

- foxes are a cross between a cat and a dog ....

:nerd:

ps: oh and chewing gum must not be swallowed as it will stick to your stomach until your ENTIRE stomach is filled with it and you die!!

NEVER re-heat spinach - it's deadly! i believed this up until two years ago when a friend challenged me to google 'spinach deaths' ....

My grandad told me that the cowboys and indians in the films were actually hit with the arrows, but they didn't die because they were experts in being hit and managed to get the arrow to hit them where it wouldn't do any damage.

I beleived this until an embarrassingly old age, and actually told this fact to other people.

Thanks Grandad. X

newrider.com