Subscribers Only area changes

Free Adverts from New Rider

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Maybe we could start some new threads - with inviting titles? Even if we don't chip in too much it might entice a reaction and come up when someone does a google search?

newforest

Somewhere in the solar system
Mar 15, 2008
Why do we need to be thinking of things to get people talking again though.
I started a daily thread back when it was too quiet.

Maybe Mike could do a survey and get current members to answer. What are people looking for from a forum.
The thing is some people go to horse shows to watch and some to compete, we will always have those who read and don't join in.

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I just wondered if we made some threads with inviting titles then they might come up if say someone is searching for a problem they are having like for example, it they have cracks in a hoof? I know in the past there have been such threads but, they are old now. Just a thought?
I think that might be a good idea a survey though.

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
It's taking longer for the pages to load for me, but that may just be me.

Imo it doesn't feel like a forum anymore, it feels like a horse related chat room with the regulars.

Sparky Lily

Nov 27, 2008
Yell, Shetland
I think people’s use of the forum will change from time to time. I post a lot less now than a few years ago, and I would not have described myself as a prolific poster even then. My circumstances have changed over the years. I no longer ride; I no longer have a horse, with all that entails with feed, rugs,etc; my ponies live out, unrugged, all year round, so no stabling or bedding; I only drive occasionally for short distances, so no clipping, presentation or clipping etc. So not a lot to start threads with! I live a very quiet life in Shetland, so not a lot to contribute socially either. I am not a “chatty” person. Oh grief, I sound so boring!
BUT, I do like to read what other people are doing, and join in if I feel I have something to contribute. I have found NR to be a comfortable place, generally. So new joiners may need some time to read and settle before joining in. Well, that’s my two penn’orth!

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
I think people’s use of the forum will change from time to time. I post a lot less now than a few years ago, and I would not have described myself as a prolific poster even then. My circumstances have changed over the years. I no longer ride; I no longer have a horse, with all that entails with feed, rugs,etc; my ponies live out, unrugged, all year round, so no stabling or bedding; I only drive occasionally for short distances, so no clipping, presentation or clipping etc. So not a lot to start threads with! I live a very quiet life in Shetland, so not a lot to contribute socially either. I am not a “chatty” person. Oh grief, I sound so boring!
BUT, I do like to read what other people are doing, and join in if I feel I have something to contribute. I have found NR to be a comfortable place, generally. So new joiners may need some time to read and settle before joining in. Well, that’s my two penn’orth!
I think that's a very good point about new members wanting some time to settle in a bit before they start to post much, it's just how I feel with a new forum - I want to have a chance to see what people are like and also feel any undercurrents that I don't want to get caught up in. I'm certainly not the sort of person who joins a group and starts flooding it with threads, posting essays on other people's threads and resurrecting ones that are years old just to have a say - mind you those sort never seem to stick around long anyway.

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Not sure what's been done to the forum, but loading quicker and advert looks smaller.
:)

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
I'm sulking, I don't seem to have the new smileys. Ok, scrap that I found I have to scroll down 😊

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com