Sunday Thread- what don't you use on your horse?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Thought that would be a shorter list than asking what we all own. :p :)

I don't use any fly products. Recently removed the ears and all going ok.
I don't use any type of boots.

I can't think of anything else just now.

Gadgets such as Pessoas, draw reins, market harboroughs etc. I wouldn't use them on any horse.

I use boots etc as I feel necessary, likewise rugs

Reactions: newforest
I don't use proper grooming brushes, just a magic brush.

I do use over reach boots, she pulls her front shoes off if I don't.

I don't use fly spray (unless I get it free like last summer from Horse and Rider mag!)
I don't use complicated tack - wouldn't know where to begin fitting any of it - and don't use lunge aids or stuff like that, because I don't need to and would need a degree to work out how to get it all on.
I don't use a sweat scraper though I have several (came free with grooming kits)
I don't use exercise boots - had several matching things to go with cloths but gave those away - can't be bothered and not entirely sure I need them
I don't use "normal" saddle cloths / pads

I don't use proper grooming brushes, just a magic brush.

I do use over reach boots, she pulls her front shoes off if I don't.
I find myself reaching for that as well.
I do use the shedding blade and the Lincoln thing I have found an area for.
But I do use some pretty wacky out there items just because well she's the boss. ;)

Gracie has sensitive skin so I don't use human shampoo or washing up liquid on her. She has natural soap flakes.... although by the state of her white numnah yesterday after the bath she had Friday evening, I think I'll be investigating horse shampoo for sensitive skins!!!

Gracie has sensitive skin so I don't use human shampoo or washing up liquid on her. She has natural soap flakes.... although by the state of her white numnah yesterday after the bath she had Friday evening, I think I'll be investigating horse shampoo for sensitive skins!!!

I use Lincon Horse Shampoo - it is ph neutral so shouldn't irritate the skin.

What he doesn't need really.

He doesn't need those expensive brushes (I think we do, he doesn't). The ones that are for each coat colour.
He doesn't need new tack unless it breaks and is unmendable. What he has fits and does the job perfectly. If something goes wrong, 99% rider error.
He doesn't need bathing - he lives out 24/7 - he doesn't go to shows, he does need to be muddy and greasy.
He doesn't need extra feed - it is summer, he has 50 acres of grazing. Good old fashioned unseeded pasture with a huge variety of flora.
He doesn't need to be alone. I hate it when horses are kept by themselves. Very wrong and cruel.

I don’t use gadgets the worse I own is a martingale for jumping and as he can rear hacking when scared.

I don’t and would never use a chiffney

I don’t use gadgets the worse I own is a martingale for jumping and as he can rear hacking when scared.

I don’t and would never use a chiffney
I wouldn't know how to fit or how to use a Chifney. So in that case it's safer for the horse that I don't touch one.

Day to day, I don't use leg boots or bandages, or a noseband, no martingale, no extra half pads just a plain cloth.... Though I own all of those for just in case's :)
I haven't sat in my saddle since early march, just ridden bareback :) I haven't lunged in years now, never used gadgets when I did really.
I never use anything grippy on Jess, it rips her fur out! I only ever carry a stick for cobweb or horse fly swatting when they are particularly bad.

I'm sure there are lots more that I don't use - then why are they lurking in my tack room......................................:oops: o_O
Me thinks you need a clear out.
Potential purchasers waiting.

Saying that mine has five spare rugs. Don't ask how that's happened. One is a lend to people in case and I don't want to sell it. One is a throw over to stop my tack getting wet/ hay blowing out the wheelbarrow job. So she's only got three to wear in the field. The if/ maybe/ never know times.

Reactions: Trewsers
Me thinks you need a clear out.
Potential purchasers waiting.

Saying that mine has five spare rugs. Don't ask how that's happened. One is a lend to people in case and I don't want to sell it. One is a throw over to stop my tack getting wet/ hay blowing out the wheelbarrow job. So she's only got three to wear in the field. The if/ maybe/ never know times.

Yes definitely need to have a tack room sort out.

I'm sure there are lots more that I don't use - then why are they lurking in my tack room......................................:oops: o_O
That's why I had a good clear out. If it's not been touched in the last year it's sold.
Three items to get listed and sold.
Oddly I bought a new dandy brush and I haven't touched it yet! Use the curries.

Yes a good clear out in the tack room for me is needed! I could have a yard sale there is so much I don't really need or use. I have one of those pine trunks too - I can't remember what is in there. I think maybe a coat or two - and some older rugs. Bet there are a lot of brushes I don't use too. I seem to stick to just one or two on a regular basis.

newrider.com