Suspensory injuries and school work

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
You were really helpful when I questioned last time regarding this injury so thought I would try you all again, sorry!

So horse with large lesion in origin of suspensory. Vet has told owners school work is fine. He's doing 10 mins of walk and is being ridden. He's had his first shockwave.

Anyone who's had similar injuries can advise if a sand surface is a good idea with this sort of injury?

Last edited:
I've no experience of this so I'm just guessing here.

If it was my horse I'd want months of straight line hacking before I went near a school and even then I'd be wary and keep the work undemanding ie no tight turns, no collection or extension, no jumping, and build it up very gradually while monitoring closely. And that's assuming a good, well maintained surface, I wouldn't consider one that was deep, uneven, or unstable. Yes I probably am over cautious, but I prefer not to test to breaking point.

Reactions: MrA
I'm really concerned about the vets attitude with it all, surely a lesion could easily turn to full rupture fairly easily without proper care.

I think this is a when an owner has to make a decision on whether or not to follow vet advice, and indeed whether or not to keep that vet.

I’d be doing straight lines on a firm flat surface for the build up work, I’d imagine an unstable surface (sand or whatever) would put a little more strain on soft tissues as a soft surface will generally show a soft tissue injury up more than a hard surface in a work up. I’ll pull out my vet notes for horse owners book later and take a picture of the page on suspensory injury for you if you like?

I’d be doing straight lines on a firm flat surface for the build up work, I’d imagine an unstable surface (sand or whatever) would put a little more strain on soft tissues as a soft surface will generally show a soft tissue injury up more than a hard surface in a work up. I’ll pull out my vet notes for horse owners book later and take a picture of the page on suspensory injury for you if you like?
That would be really helpful. By no means do I want to tell the owner what to do but I am concerned about some of the vets advice and I want to be honest and informative when she is asking me my thoughts so she can decide what she feels is best

Reactions: Jessey
I wonder if she's asking your thoughts @Ale because deep down she has doubts about the advice given by the vet? Does she have a copy of the scans, or can she get one? If she can and if she can afford it then I'd suggest getting a second opinion from another equine practice.

We had no choice but to use our school when Joe damaged his suspensory ligament. Where we used to live the hacking was unsuitable - the nearest firm road surface was two miles away and very busy. You'd have had to know exactly where we lived to understand, it was not a case of hacking him around a suburban estate or even reaching a country lane. Our school was mixed sand and fibre and very good, not bumpy at all - we harrowed it regularly. So it can be done. I know lots of people on here told me at the time I was doing the wrong thing but you can only do what you have to work with. We had him scanned and monitored regularly by the vet - slowly and steadily he improved.
And being honest, having a tb with his temperament he really was not safe to hack out at the best of times, never mind having been on box rest. We rehabilitated him and it was fine for a few years until he damaged it fatally again in the field. In between of all that he damaged it several times and my heart was always in my mouth - how I came to dread the scans. There are all ways of looking at it, that type of injury happens and they are never the same again in my opinion. You do your best to get them healed safely and fully but you can't wrap in cotton wool. He lived another five years after it initially happened but we were always on edge wondering because each time he had a hooly in the field it got a little worse (sorry to be gloomy this is just my experience). I don't expect anyone to agree with me this is only my opinion and I'm sharing it - your friend will do what she thinks is right with her horse.

I'm really concerned about the vets attitude with it all, surely a lesion could easily turn to full rupture fairly easily without proper care.
It could but the other thing that can happen is the fetlock dropping - which is what happened with Joe. Truly awful.

• Sad
I agree with Trewsers - it's an awful time of year to try to be rehabbing from an injury and they might have limited options if road work is difficult for whatever reason or there aren't suitable level surfaces.

I'm avoiding lots of the bridleways around here because they are so deep. Pete has no leg issues but it would be doubly tough if he had.

Last edited:
The vet hasn't discussed the pros and cons of different surfaces though, which I think they should perhaps of. The owner asked me and I wasn't sure what to say that's all ☺️

Reactions: carthorse
newrider.com