Swollen pasterns and fetlocks...?

virtuallyhorses

NZ TB owner
Mar 1, 2002
New Zealand
www.virtuallyhorses.com
I'd appreciate some advice on something that happenned tonight. We've had some really attrocious weather here recently, including a storm with 100k winds and torrential rain in the last 24hrs. All of which has made the paddocks very muddy as you can imagine - heavy clay mud.

We usually hose off the worst of the mud on the way into the barn. Tonight I noticed that my TB's front legs around the pasterns and up to the fetlocks were very warm and seemed a little swollen - they felt a little puffy. There were no cuts or injuries and he was not lame or bothered at all although he was tender to touch. We went for a short ride during which he was fine, no tenderness no unwillingness to stride out etc

When we returned to the barn I checked him again and his legs seemed to have returned almost to normal, no heat, little swelling and everything appeared ok although he was still tender to touch.

Can anyone give me any clues about what might be going on? Could he have slightly sprained tendons from slogging through the mud? why would exercise help? Strangely, I got the impression that it was like the puffy ankles we get when we're stuck on a plane, which is why I exercised him - but that doesn't really make sense..... ideas please

Is this mud fever? There are no scabs etc and I have applied comfrey oil around the fetlocks (its a good anti inflammatory) and used zinc and castor oil ointment on his pasterns as a barrier cream

Last edited:
mystery...

Well its still a mystery. He has improved on both of the last two days since the big storm, no lameness ever appeared and all swelling disappeared (one minor bump on the inside of one pastern but that seems unrelated). He is still quite tender\sensitive to being touched around the pasterns.

Apparently a few of the other horses around the place have either been a little lame in front or been a little puffy around the joints, the general consensus is that its either from them 'hunkering down' in one place to wait out the storm or in other cases - minor strains caused by hooning around in the deep footing afterwards.

Its mud fever

--

became apparent today, when little scabs with hanks of hair started coming out.... although because i had been busy protecting the heels and backs of his pasterns, its around the sides quite high up on the pasterns. have cleaned off all the little scabs, sprayed the whole pastern with iodine and applied zinc & caster oil oinment for tonight. Will take some Manuka honey down tomorrow to ensure that the bacteria are killed off and then keep on top of it with emu oil and zinc creams - hope the worst of our winter rain is over now :(

Last edited:
newrider.com