take that confidence demons!!! :)

Cremola Foam

Jan 11, 2005
Scotland
Had the best confidence giving hack on Sunday morning :)

I've not ridden much recently due to weather (v v v windy and heavy rain) and getting sorted for Christmas so when I checked the weather on Sunday morning and it was forecast for heavy rain but not too windy I thought "stuff it! Both Peds and I have waterproofs, we won't melt!!"

So I tacked up and off we went. The wind that was ment to be light was actually quite gusty and had Peds going sideways down the road (Plus there were lots of cars parked along the road by the church and he's suspicious of parked cars!) I was wondering if I'd made a mistake in going out but when we got onto the old railway line it was much more sheltered. So we had a few trots to settle ourselves. As this was going on the rain was getting heavier. When we got to the narrow bridge the river was running fast under it and Peds wasn't keen so I got off and lead him over. He walked slowly right behind me, didn't try to rush, just kept at my pace. Mounted at a handy stone on the other side and carries on. It's a circular route and the top of the circle, when you are heading home is a right turn at the corner of a farm. The rain was coming down like stair rods at this point and as we turned the corner the wind caught us and actually blew Peds back a step!!! But he just stuck his head down and battled through it! While driving rain was hitting our faces like frozen daggers!! We go up a little hill that we usually canter up but kept it to a walk so I could keep one eye on the trees overhead! All the way up the track I'd been laughing and asking him who's great idea it had been to ride out in this!! Coming down the other side Peds said "stuff this mum, I'm getting you home!" And started to trot and I couldn't stop him! He wasn't going fast, I could just feel the determination in him. That he'd decided we'd had enough and needed to get home!! So he trotted me most of the way home! Lol!!

Got back and he dried off with a cozy fleece on and a big net of hay while I did my jobs (mucking out etc)

I was so glad I rode, even though it wasn't very enjoyable for either of us!! But it was such a boost!! He was such a star and looked after me so well and trusted me when he was feeling a little unsure. I just felt like we were really listed in to each other and communicating well with each other!

When I turned him out B came marching over and said "take me in mum. I've had enough!" So in he came for a duvet day!! (Poor Peds would much rather be out than in, no matter the weather! But I left him and his gf with a net of hay each when I finally got to go and dry off - in sainsbury's cafe with a hot choc and mince pie and my mum and dad!)

So the next time we have a really windy and rainy day I'll be able to say "He'll yeah I can ride in that. But I won't because neither of us enjoy it!!"

Thats just such a great story. Well done. Hope you didnt get soggy pants and what a lovely way to warm up after :)

Thankfully no soggy pants! My waterproof trousers held up well. My jacket however..... I was soaked to the skin through four layers under it! Lol!

Well done you! Not a hack for the faint hearted and you came back smiling :)

Doesn't sound like there's much wrong with your confidence any more lol.

Well done, its not the nicest when the rain is pelting and blowing in your face but as you said it had its upside as you got the confidence boost you needed. He sounds like he was such a good boy, mine goes sideways with his head tucked in when we get caught in a down pour.

Brilliant, I loved reading that story :D it's good when things don't go so perfect and they come through for you, really shows you how strong your relationship is :)

newrider.com