Talk to me about Equine America

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Etc, opinions, views, knowledge welcome.

I have been looking after a horse who has been on a product by this company. I am not up on supplements unless I have a specific problem but what I noticed is that you only needed a small amount and his supply was six months worth. They appear initially expensive but looking at how long it lasted, its possibly better value.

The only change I could make would be from her magneed to the EA version, this I feed because she is barefoot, living out, native, the winter field doesn't/ didn't drain well and we are on an old dairy farm-not known for its magnesium.

She has just been started on something by EA so its kinda useful if no one says that company is crap. :giggle: Its a four month supply if I don't notice a change its Mr vet again,

Last edited:
Nearly everyone used these at the yard i worked on in surrey,we had a giy come round once a month in a van who sold it amongst other things but this was his supplement of choice,i used the magnesium and the glucosomine and was very happy with both,their products do last along time and are imo and experience worht every penny :)

I have never tried any of their products. But I will be watching this with interest. I have Dolly on an array of supplements for poor hoof quality and sweet itch. I have (I think!) worked out a nice little mix for her now, and the difference is great, but it costs me a fortune that I really can't afford.:frown:

What is the horse you are looking after being supplemented for? Do you have a rough idea of what is in the mix?

I've never used them because I thought that they looked expensive for the volume you are getting... just went on and worked it out that it'd only be something like 22p per day for an MSM supplement... the Naf one was at least double that. Rubic is on NAF superflex but I was thinking of putting her on an MSM supplement instead because that is meant to be the best thing for ligaments, everything else in superflex is aimed more at the surrounding joint. When I started looking at prices I decided to ditch the supeflex and not replace it however the EA one looks much more reasonable price so I might buy that and keep her on it over winter. hmmmmm

He is on Cortaflex but which one I do not know there are four types apparently. A horse is six months supply, a pony eight. My first reaction was oh my god to the price until my friend showed me the scoop size and I divided it by weeks. Its easier to disguise being such a small amount.

My lass has just been started on a product that is four months supply, so think winter sorted, that's why I need it. £25 for four months is £1 a week isn't it, I spend more on carrots! As I put though if no change its vet again but what the vet gives us is triple the cost and only a month supply.

Sorry for my ignorance, not sure I have heard of feed mark.

I've always been very pleased with them - I've used Cortaflex, UlserGard, Fungatrol cream & Magnitude.

Cortaflex is meant to be amazing, but vet put YO (and subsequently me!) onto Vetvits Equiflex which is as good but cheaper!

I have used the EA Buteless in the past.

It's very difficult to compare value unless you know the dosage accurately. For example, the NAF Devil's Claw is half the price of the James Hart which I use, but it is also less than half as strong so you have to feed twice as much, and it's less pure.

I don't think the labelling regulations are strict enough for this to be apparent from the bottles.

This is what made me think about the amount of magnesium I currently have to give against the EA brand, I must be feeding something less pure.

The Equine America magnesium is a lot purer than the stuff you get on ebay, so you feed less. Perhaps we are very high in magnesium around here, wouldn't have thought so as we are heavy clay, but have never found magnesium to calm horses down or improve their hoof quality, but maybe that is just my experience.

I think their Cortaflex is second to none - having had my dog on their canine version. This is what they built their reputation on, and it does work.

I am not sure about other products, as if I had a horse with joint issues, I wouldn't hesitate to use equine cortaflex having had such good results with the canine one.

I wouldn't use plain magnesium as a calmer there are more specific products for that. Though I know a few using rigcalm that's helped.

Rigcalm is basically a mix of magnesium and chasteberry, which is helpful for some horses, but not all.

For some horses - my own included - too much magnesium causes him to be MORE excitable and I can't say his feet - which are very good anyway, were much improved.

Depends what you are using magnesium for really I think. Obviously a chelated magnesium is going to be much more efficient than an oxide because of the way it is broken down.

Someone suggested rig calm for her season problem, but I bought chaste berry on its own and she wouldn't touch it.
Actually someone else suggested putting in foal-i declined to look into that one. :help: What on earth would I do with a baby!

She was on Oestress which I know made a huge difference. I think if you see a difference its worth it. I definitely did, went to camp without worrying she would be unrideable.

She doesn't have a foot issue but is overweight and lami prone because of that. I am considering changing to the EA as it looks purer than the equus health one.

Just to update.
Been on a month now and I think she is looking brighter. She hasnt gained weight from having it based on the second ingredient being dextrose and further along honey. I can't see her in the wild with her hoof in a beehive! :biggrin: But, then again she does put it on, in and through anything else she discovers!

So keeping to this over the winter, it has a selection of vitamins and minerals as well as the iron and immune system boost.
It smells lovely but I haven't tasted, the other time the vet stuff smelled lovely it tasted disgusting. :giggle:

The Equine America magnesium is a lot purer than the stuff you get on ebay, so you feed less. Perhaps we are very high in magnesium around here, wouldn't have thought so as we are heavy clay, but have never found magnesium to calm horses down or improve their hoof quality, but maybe that is just my experience.

I think their Cortaflex is second to none - having had my dog on their canine version. This is what they built their reputation on, and it does work.

I am not sure about other products, as if I had a horse with joint issues, I wouldn't hesitate to use equine cortaflex having had such good results with the canine one.

Although supplementing magnesium works for some horses, usually they are deficient in copper and zinc also. Most uk pastures are high in iron which blocks the uptake of zinc - and copper and zinc are required for the uptake of magnesium - it's a long chain type thing which is why often magnesium doesn't impact alone - it certainly doesn't for us!

Last edited:
Forgot to mention we are using Propell currently not magnesium, I was asking about it but not changed to it.

This has got copper in it interestingly but its all individual for your horse though what works. Nobody else here has one with a low blood count-least not tested because they don't have any issues.
What is working for us may not for you and I am still fifty miles from sjp1, same soil type for this area, but different temperatures, horses, diet, workload and management.

newrider.com