Terrified - 1st Show and we need some help

shandy84

Oct 10, 2003
Essex
community.webshots.com
We have made the decision to enter the girls into a local show.

Unfortunatly at present Bramble is very lame and has some nasty cuts on the side of her leg so it really is fingers crossed as he in hand training was coming on so well.

Shandy is going to be entered in the inhand, bays, blacks and greys class and the best condition class, Bramble is entered in chestnuts coloureds or paints, best condition and M&M - all dependant on how well she is.

Should I take their small beards off?
What should I wear (have no beige Jods but do have a slightly darker version trouser, have got blue or black jacket etc help!)
Should their tails be trimmed to be squared off at the bottom?
Can you colour a hairless area? if so what with?
Is hoof oil a must?
What essentials do you take to a show?

Thinks thats it for now, I have been okay until today when I realised it's next week!

trousers is ok, and technically you should wear a tweed jacket!
to cover a hairless area i use shoe polish!
hoof oil is a must!!!
essentials to take to a show are:
bridle, pony, your clothes, brushes, showshine, hoof oil, rugs, water bucket, that sort of thing!

yep wear a hat either a trilby or a velvet rideing hat!
on a hot day you can wear a waistcoat instead of a jacket!!

Would a velvet hat still look okay without the jods?

I know this is only very local so as we can't afford things like new tweed jackets we wont be in too much bother but would like to do it as correctly as possible. How do yu go about getting water for your horse?

yep a velvet hat is ok.
i take a huge container of water, you can get them from robinsons!

Hi Shandy84, good to hear you're taking the showing plunge :D Holly and I went to our first show in July and had a wicked time.
I wore jod boots (not correct as I'm over 16), cream trousers, white shirt, tweed jacket (borrowed), black tie, skull cap with black velvet cover, brown leather gloves and my hair was in a hairnet.
Holly (as a native, like your girls) was unplaited, her mane was slightly pulled (in all about 8 inches long), her feathers and whiskers untrimmed and her tail was banged (naughty, naughty me :eek: ). I did a trick I'd heard about with her tail to make it look nice - dampen the top half down, put some hair gel on it (human stuff is fine) then tail bandage it. When you take it out a few hours later is looks really neat and pulled-like.
I bought a water carrier from a camping shop (cheaper than horsey catalogue ones), although most shows normally have a tap somewhere to get some from.
I bought with me a haynet, bucket, water, bridle, headcollar, turnout rug (to chuck over Holly if it decided to rain), brushes, baby wipes (a godsend if the pony decides to slopper/**** everywhere just before entering the ring), sock whitener (Holly always gets her dirty in the box), hoof oil, ummmm, what else? Oh yeah :p pony, myself and my clothes!
Good luck, let us know how you get on

depending on how your horse is, take a show cane to help get horses attention in the class and to help nudge them to stand square. Some ppl take them and others dont, it just depends, but if you need one, dont forget it!!

oh - and money for drinks! treats!

Just letting you know in advance Shandy, I want plenty of pics!
Im by no means an expert at show turnout (pretty horrendous actually) but I think if this is your first show then its more important to just have some fun and see how the girls deal with everything. As long as you look smart I dont think anyones going to throw you out of the ring! :)

I will def have pics - probably too many of me though hate being in pictures.

It is definate that we are going as today I paid our entry! :eek: YIKES! We are happy with the turnout we have in mind apart from Shandys mane, really it should be plaited and balled up but it is far too long and thick for that do you think we could get away with a running plait or just laying it straight?

The thing you don't know is that we will be moving yards the day before, we have hired a trailer for the whole weekend, but it is going to make it all a little more tense to begin with, but hopefully the girls will cope and will behave well enough on Sunday for us to be proud.

They are both sporting war wounds at the moment so we are not going to win, just hopefully enjoy :)

When I put our entry in the organiser of the show was lovely and has really put me at ease about going, hopefully it will all come off as well as we hope :)

newrider.com