The big move - part 2

MrA

It was always my intention to move Ale again, this yard as much as I really do like it is definitely in the wrong location for our long term goal of buying a house.

I was originally looking to move over the summer but I'm unhappy with my boss at work and think it would be good career wise to move sooner to find a bigger vet practice where I can further my training.

So I start again with looking for jobs to apply for and looking at yards that might be suitable!

Nothing really important here I'll just use this thread to keep my thoughts together in one place moving forward.

Given the difficulty in finding student veterinary nurse places it'll very much be job first and Ale will just have to fit in somewhere once that's sorted, the new yard has taught me that he's actually okay doing that though, he's taken everything in his stride here.

I went for an interview last week for a new position, perfect location, lovely people etc, but then they mentioned that they do 24hour shifts. As a horse and small animal owner (and also just about to take on a foster cat again) it just isn't feasible for me to be away that long from them all. I have an exam in 3 weeks so everything is going on the back burner until after that and then I'm going to hope my heads a bit clearer about what I want

they mentioned that they do 24hour shifts
Does this mean you have to be there in the place of work? Or just on call like a human doctor is?
I never heard of anyone in a hospital having to do a 24 hour shift. It is normally three 8 hour shifts to make up the 24 hours,

I went for an interview last week for a new position, perfect location, lovely people etc, but then they mentioned that they do 24hour shifts. As a horse and small animal owner (and also just about to take on a foster cat again) it just isn't feasible for me to be away that long from them all. I have an exam in 3 weeks so everything is going on the back burner until after that and then I'm going to hope my heads a bit clearer about what I want
That sounds like they would have a rota whereby someone would be available for the out of hours emergency calls or weekends.
I wouldn't write it off until you know how many rotas a month you would need to do.

If you take on anything to foster, it would be an idea to do that from your current work place as you could then possibly take to work?

It's definitely a 24hour shift where you are on site for 24hours and not able to leave, I checked because it is unusual and obviously I needed to know for certain. It used to be that they were on site from Friday night until Monday morning, some places still do this but I think as the emphasis becomes more on work life balance this is becoming less common.

Our vets used to do that, there is a small house attached to the vets and the staff would stay there if they were on shift. That no longer happens now they've sold out to one of the big companies, so now you have to sign a disclaimer to say if your pet has to be hospitalised overnight you are aware there will be no-one on site to monitor them.

Oh and I don't know about NHS but certainly in independent hospitals there is at least one RMO (Resident Medical Officer). They're not working all the time, obviously, but they do have to live on site so they are in hand in case of a medical emergency.

My vet nurse friend did 24hr shifts at 2 of the 3 practices I’ve known her working at, they’re tough and you definitely have to have someone else to take care of your animals regularly.

I think I would be more interested in doing them if I wasn't also a student therefore trying to fit all the my studying in and also being uncertain about my abilities in certain situations.

If there was a house you could live in that wouldn't be a problem! But I wouldn't want a job where I had to be in the surgery for 24hours at a time, either

Our vets used to do that, there is a small house attached to the vets and the staff would stay there if they were on shift. That no longer happens now they've sold out to one of the big companies, so now you have to sign a disclaimer to say if your pet has to be hospitalised overnight you are aware there will be no-one on site to monitor them.

Oh and I don't know about NHS but certainly in independent hospitals there is at least one RMO (Resident Medical Officer). They're not working all the time, obviously, but they do have to live on site so they are in hand in case of a medical emergency.
So they do rounds at certain times?
That seems strange to have an animal stay overnight with nobody monitoring?

I think I would be more interested in doing them if I wasn't also a student therefore trying to fit all the my studying in and also being uncertain about my abilities in certain situations.
What is the arrangement where you are currently?
How far on are you with your study to train as a vet nurse?
Perhaps it's actually worth sticking where you are until you actually qualify, then get yourself a job in the profession.
Just thinking that with A it's working out, though you could I believe have him out all year round of he was in a different field. That could free up some time to study.

Not the same I know, but I got p1ssed off with my yard and actually considered leaving. That was until I looked at afew other places and realised actually we are very lucky where we are, just the owner is a bit odd.

So they do rounds at certain times?
That seems strange to have an animal stay overnight with nobody monitoring?
Yes, we do this where I am currently. They get a late check but nothing else. It keeps costs down for the owners as not paying for staff all night but allows the animal to have medication and fluids etc for a longer time than they would at home. Personally I would want more frequent checks and monitoring if it was my own animal but that comes with a price tag

What is the arrangement where you are currently?
How far on are you with your study to train as a vet nurse?
Perhaps it's actually worth sticking where you are until you actually qualify, then get yourself a job in the profession.
Just thinking that with A it's working out, though you could I believe have him out all year round of he was in a different field. That could free up some time to study.

Not the same I know, but I got p1ssed off with my yard and actually considered leaving. That was until I looked at afew other places and realised actually we are very lucky where we are, just the owner is a bit odd.
I've got a year and a half left at least, I'm almost a year in. Yes there is lots to consider but I would like to gain more varied experience on the way to qualifying

Yes, we do this where I am currently. They get a late check but nothing else. It keeps costs down for the owners as not paying for staff all night but allows the animal to have medication and fluids etc for a longer time than they would at home. Personally I would want more frequent checks and monitoring if it was my own animal but that comes with a price tag
Maybe that's why the costs are different around the country.

newrider.com
Back