The effects of join-up

I'm reading about join-up now actually.

It shows your horse that your offer to be friends is genuine. It means he trusts you, and wants to be your friend. There is respect shown between you. Once he has accepted this, his equivalent of 'shaking hands' on the deal is to join up with you.

He is usually only too pleased to oblige whenever he can, provided he feels he can trust you. This puts you in a very strong position regarding asking for favours - such as 'how about we put this saddle on and you let me sit on your back?' This is why join-up makes it possible (although not necessarily desirable) to back an unhandled horse in under thirty minutes.

Hope I've helped a little
socks xx

Best benefits come from horses who DO NOT already have an *established* relationship with its handler(s)/owner.

It serves to, using natural horse herd dynamics, communicate to the horse his/her place in the human/horse relationship.

If done correctly (and it is a technical exercise) it does work!

I have to say I got nothing out of joining up with Molly at all. She did a picture perfect join up but did not suddenly trust me or want to do everything I suggested.

Incidentally she always followed me everywhere anyway - but only because she's so incredibly nosy!! ;)

I have done join up with other people's horses and found that they bonded with me rather than their owners after that, and the effects did not follow through to everything. They join up with you and not every human in the world.

Tootsie's right - it's more about herd dynamics than trust. What is gained really depends on how you do it and why.

If done badly (that is chase horse in a pen until he gives in and follows you round) it does nothing much for the relationship except demonstrate to horse that you can outlast him and he might as well do what you want. No trust there - just submission.

If done well join-up can be achieved without having to round pen first - it is an acceptance of the handler as a worthy leader, and the establishing of a good relationship (and therefore mutual trust) and can take place over a period of weeks or months, not just five minutes in a round pen.

Round penning to join up isn't always appropriate or warranted either. I had a psycho mare who could never join up like that - to be driven away was always too much for her. Handling her without any restraint, and letting her decide how much we did worked wonders though.

Join-up is great for some horses, sometimes. For others it's confusing, or frightening, or just plain unneccessary.

newrider.com