The Horse and His Schooling Book, come and join in

PicsArt_12-07-04.30.53.jpg

19. Trust me, she's not stupid. RI says she's too intelligent! I blame the parents. :p

PicsArt_12-07-04.31.55.jpg

Do not constantly talk to your horse @Bodshi is it you who chatters away.
I tend to as well mine knows lots of other words beside the above.

Walk on, forwards ( the other forwards) , stand, turn,
Focus, give over and pack it in are also option!

The author's definition of schooling is thus.

'to make the horse obedient at all paces. To make him handy and well balanced. To give him a good mouth. To teach him to use his limbs to the best advantage. To develop his muscles. To make him quiet and safe to ride in traffic or over country.

Hum, ok so mine is sort of schooled then. I wouldn't say obedient, but on the whole she trots on the lunge when you say it straight away.

_20191223_231154.JPG
Suppling the neck was an exercise to do at the stand.
This is our modern lateral flex. He doesn't mention the release and he doesn't mention the flex off your seat.
It's strange because mine still will respond even though it's not something I do much of, it's something that's in her brain.

View attachment 100992
Suppling the neck was an exercise to do at the stand.
This is our modern lateral flex. He doesn't mention the release and he doesn't mention the flex off your seat.
It's strange because mine still will respond even though it's not something I do much of, it's something that's in her brain.
Haha, yours is probably thinking about biting your foot if you do something to annoy her :D

Hmm, mine probably not well schooled then :p
Because mine takes her time to do things, I never know if she's obedient or not. She's getting her legs organised, the trot is on its way. :D
She won't walk off while I get my lunge lines threaded etc- because she doesn't have to go anywhere yet.

Reactions: Bodshi
Haha, yours is probably thinking about biting your foot if you do something to annoy her :D
Ha ha.
It says with practice you can get the horse to flex right round to touch your leg. We didn't need the practice she was already well flexed where my foot was.

He says there are three turns and each must be assiduously practiced.

My first point is that there are in fact four turns.
He's forgotten the U turn which some horses execute with greater skill than others.
He possibly doesn't mention it because it's the horse doing the movement without mentioning it to the rider.

So there is the turn on the
1. Centre, (fq yield and hq yield)
2. Forehand (fq yield)
3. Hock ( hindquarter turn or hq yield.

The first one the horse does naturally, golly gosh now that's a stroke of luck then.

_20191223_235311.JPG
Any takers to try this one. Probably the early handy pony/ family pony type thing.
Mounted police in the fifties had their handy pony classes.
I need something different other than removing my hat. My coat perhaps.

Reactions: Trewsers
The half passage

This sounds like what we now call the leg yield?
In the walk move partly sideways and partly straight. ( actually that could be me going down the centre line when she sees something scary!

His full passage is what I know as the sideways. I always hated it and the cob doesn't know that. But she knows sideways on a circle.
He calls that - the Two Track Circle ( forehand)

Ha ha. For those reading this thread.

_20191224_191725.JPG
Figure 30 has definately 'cut' his work. He is not flexed, and he doing, in fact, just what he chooses. :p:p

Oops. Still least horses were doing this back in the day.

Last edited:
His view on jumping is you don't need jump wings.
There are no wings in the hunting field or xc country, so why use them when schooling?

Cavaletti he described as " knife rest"

He talks about the forward or balanced seat.
There is much misunderstanding as to the meaning of the expression "forward seat" and if people understood. It, there would be less opposition.

Reactions: Trewsers
It is worth naming the illustrator. Those pics often have a value now and the colour plates are sometimes removed by dealers and sold separately, mounted and framed.

newrider.com