The old ways - what good practices don't we see anymore?

I thatched 25/30 years ago. Oats I've fed more recently and still would but jess doesn't need any extra oomph :p oats got a bad rep for hyping horses up too much so people seemed to be scared of using them. I fed phoenix straights when he was older as I could tailor it to his exact needs, lots of calories!

I still thatch and use bread poultice and good old iodine and sugar mixed as a wound treatment. Will still use straight barley or oats in winter. They are only old if nobody uses them anymore. My feed is a simple supplement added Into a grass chaff with a soaked grass cube. I supplement because I restrict grazing purely because the haylage I get is more horse friendly than the grass.

Reactions: Jessey
Does anyone boil barley nowadays? I remember us starting to use barley balls that came out early 90s, i thought they were the bees knees! I remember thatching in the 80s and 90s x

I guess riding clothes have always offered some sort of fashion.
It was wax jackets and your favourite @Trewsers waistcoats. But this was Barbour wasnt it. My waistcoat was one of those green ones, but cheaper one!
Rubber boots were by Stylo.
I recall Harry Hall being a big name, it might have been the only one!!!
Gorringe for jodphurs in black, navy and cream for the show ring only. Or Harry Hall.
If it was advertised in the horsey magazine or the local tack shop had it, I would have had it. So when I found a purple pair of jodphurs I thought it was amazing.

Reactions: Trewsers
Does anyone boil barley nowadays? I remember us starting to use barley balls that came out early 90s, i thought they were the bees knees! I remember thatching in the 80s and 90s x
I hated that smell! I used Barley rings soaked for Pheonix, they helped him a lot when no modern mix was doing the trick.

Actually when we couldn't get weight on Raf once YO used wheat sharps (I believe it has other local names) to get weight on him, apparently that's an old showing trick.

I guess riding clothes have always offered some sort of fashion.
It was wax jackets and your favourite @Trewsers waistcoats. But this was Barbour wasnt it. My waistcoat was one of those green ones, but cheaper one!
Rubber boots were by Stylo.
I recall Harry Hall being a big name, it might have been the only one!!!
Gorringe for jodphurs in black, navy and cream for the show ring only. Or Harry Hall.
If it was advertised in the horsey magazine or the local tack shop had it, I would have had it. So when I found a purple pair of jodphurs I thought it was amazing.

I remember my one of my school friends (circa 1985) had a bodywarmer and beige jodhs! I was so envious!!!! Because she had her own pony - and didn't wear wellies to ride in like me (on the odd lesson I could afford)

Reactions: Jessey
Actually when we couldn't get weight on Raf once YO used wheat sharps (I believe it has other local names) to get weight on him, apparently that's an old showing trick.

I used sharps (thirds round here) for Amber too when she first arrived. Looked like orange sawdust. But did the job and cheap as chips.

newrider.com