The ride that never was .....

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
Started out with Hogan as normal today, intending to lead down the lane, and mount in the inclosure. We met his friend about half way, coming home, and it all went to hell in a handbasket. Got him about 20 yards, and he stopped dead. For 40 mins he tried to rear (trying to pull the reins so he could do it, but I didn't let him), tried to kick me with his front feet, would not budge. Finally got him moving by pushing him into a zig zag walk, and eventually straight. I normally mount inside the forest gate, but he was still being a jerk, so led him for about 5 mins, then headed home. If I'd got on, I would have lost the battle, as I was scared by this point. Farted about the whole way home, head shaking etc and I wanted to beat him senseless by the time I got back. (Obviously didn't!) I won in a sense, but it feels like a hollow victory. Maybe it's the spring grass, but I have to get a grip of this, it's the first time I've detected malicious intent, and I'm stuffed if I let him win. Any suggestions, other than murder, will be gratefully received.

Oh heck doesn't sound at all good. This may or may not be anything but could he be sensing your grief from losing your other horse? I have found in the past if something has affected me deeply that Storm would pick up on it - and use it to her advantage if possible. That may be nonsense in your case of course. Just a thought. Sounds like it was a struggle. Hopefully others on here will have some ideas. Next time, could you take someone with you? I'd have been scared of getting back on too - maybe having someone with you might boost your confidence and he might not be so cheeky? Also could he have been peeved at meeting his friend going home?

Reactions: Huggy
Forget about it and see the next ride as a new day.
If we have a good ride we enjoy it and forget. But if we have a bad one or a non starter we will dwell on it. The horse isn't.

I've had rides where we both want to get home! But thankfully they are few and far between now.

Oh heck doesn't sound at all good. This may or may not be anything but could he be sensing your grief from losing your other horse? I have found in the past if something has affected me deeply that Storm would pick up on it - and use it to her advantage if possible. That may be nonsense in your case of course. Just a thought. Sounds like it was a struggle. Hopefully others on here will have some ideas. Next time, could you take someone with you? I'd have been scared of getting back on too - maybe having someone with you might boost your confidence and he might not be so cheeky? Also could he have been peeved at meeting his friend going home?
I think he definitely was peeved at his friend going home, and on reflection, I think this was a perfect storm. I'm not quite myself yet, physically and emotionally, he's full of spring grass, he's not only gone from being on his own to a new field with another horse, he's also become the big boss of that other horse. He's always been a beggar when we meet other horses, and I really must address that at some point. I may ask a friend to walk out with me if my next effort goes awry.

Reactions: Trewsers
One really does dwell on the bad rides. I have to bear in mind that in many ways Hogans improved immensely in the last year. He was bargy and bolshy in hand, threw himself round the stable and tried it on in every conceivable way. Now he'll stand quite nicely while he's tacked up or groomed, comes to me when I go to the field, and backs up nicely when I take his bucket in. I suppose I'm just not in the frame of mind to deal with this. We'll attempt another outing on Monday. :oops:

It's so horrible when a bad ride (or attempt to ride) happens. If you are anything like me, you end up dwelling on it and driving yourself crazy.

My only advice is to be kind to yourself and try to have a fresh approach the next time you ride. It helps for me to celebrate the small achievements and not focus too much on the bigger or the long term goal. The sun is shining today and I am wishing you a better experience.

All your good wishes were used today - and they worked! For once, the stubbornness that my late mum always said would get me into trouble, actually came in handy! The fact that he didn't win on Saturday worked for me today. I had to use all my willpower not to tighten my grip as we passed the dreaded spot today, and we got down the lane with no trouble. People probably thought I was a crazy person, because I nattered to him, complete gibberish, all the way down, but it stopped both of us getting tense. Got on at my usual spot, and even had a couple of trots, and it was as though some evil person had switched my pony on Saturday. He was his usual lazy but likeable self. I'm under no illusions that we don't have problems to address, most of which I swear he's picked up as a RS pony, but the trick seems to be stand your ground and be as stubborn as he is. Thanks for all the encouragement, I'm sure I'll be back for more, very soon! :p

Reactions: Trewsers
Right, I shall do the potted version of the last week's hacks (full story is on hacking riding thread) Uneventful couple of solo hacks last week, then went out with bestie and 2 others on Saturday. Hogan was brilliant until halfway, when we turned for the hill he hates. Half rears, spinning the lot. Now, about 5 minutes before, I really tightened his girth, and bearing in mind he's put on weight, was he uncomfortable? When he stopped for a breather, I got off, walked him up the hill, and got on again. Again - totally fine, until we started to go DOWN a steep hill???? Anyway, best friends owner said she'd come out with me yesterday evening, and he was fine. However, before we went out, as I was tacking up, he got uppity over the girth being done, so I didn't go full tight, so to speak. I've checked his tummy, and couldn't find anything untoward, and he was fine when I didn't go that extra hole. Today, another solo hack, good as gold, trotting up so well, then on the homeward track we met another horse. He tried it on again, bunny hop rears and throwing his head about, but I sat it out, and after less than a minute (felt like an hour!) He gave up and was super on the way home - lovely level trots, calm halts, didn't put a hoof wrong. I'd love to hear everyone's take on this - girth too tight? Dynamics of group ride? Spring grass fever? Just trying it on with each different situation? I dont think he's going to rear properly (he's too darn fat!) but I'm not prepared to put up with it when things don't go his way. He's such a star in so many ways, I'd love to sort this out.

I'd keep an eye on the girth thing and see if he is actually objecting to it or if that was just coincidence, perhaps he's just got his feet under the table now and is seeing how far he can push you and you just need to ride out the testing period.

newrider.com