The "right time" to buy first horse?

LauraGeeGee

Oct 5, 2008
Collier Row, Essex
I'm in a bit of a quandry here! I'm just interested on others opinions and experiences of when you purchased your first horse.

I've been riding since I was 8, had a long gap and then took riding back up about 5 years ago. I'm 36 now.

I've wanted my own horse for as long as I can remember. When I got back into riding, I went for lessons. Loved it at first as it was so good to be back in the saddle and it didn't take too long to rediscover those "skills" not to mention unworked muscles! :eek:!! After a while (about a year) I began to get a tad bored with the lessons, it lacked the fun that I had as a kid. Lots of lateral work (yes i know it's important) and waiting ages for girths/stirrups to be adjusted before the lesson began etc.

I then, through friends of friends went on to help bring on a horse recently backed. I used to hack her out with the owner on her other horse and alone too. Basically to continue her education. She was then sold and at the time I really was in no position (financially) to buy her. :(

I've then helped out with other friends horses. The care side as well as hacking out etc. I've been thought lots of what I suppose are unofficial share set ups really. But it's not the same as having my own! I feel confident and knowledgeable enough to own now, I know what colic looks like etc.(I know you never stop learning!)

I'm now at the point where I'm financially in a position to look to getting my own but find myself thinking things such as "I'll wait until the house is more sorted" etc etc. My husband is in the process of changing jobs and I think, "I'll wait until he's settled in his new job". But I look around me and think "other poeple are owning horses and they've got a full time jobs/house/husband etc, it can be done".

I do need to save a bit first anyway, though can't help but look for horses for sale. I even know where I will keep it, a yard where my friend keeps hers has vacant stables and I've been made to feel so welcome by all, including the yard manager.

Sorry this is long, just wondering, is there EVER the right time to embark on horse ownership? How did you end up taking the plunge? Am I worrying too much/did anyone else feel like me?:rolleyes:

I haven't bought my first horse yet, but I feel so similar to you! At the moment, I feel like I wouldn't have the time, but then as you say, people with full-time jobs seem to cope (somehow!). I'm also not sure how happy I would be to completely give up my social life, foreign holidays etc - it seems like having a horse is like having a small child, except that the horse never grows up! :rolleyes:

I haven't bought my first horse yet, but I feel so similar to you! At the moment, I feel like I wouldn't have the time, but then as you say, people with full-time jobs seem to cope (somehow!). I'm also not sure how happy I would be to completely give up my social life, foreign holidays etc - it seems like having a horse is like having a small child, except that the horse never grows up! :rolleyes:

Glad it's not just me then! I don't really see you'd need to give up absolutely all social life/holidays etc. I know some do but some don't. I know there would have to be cut backs for me, no doubt about it. I spend money on truely silly things (Clothes that I don't need etc). That'll stop which can only be a good thing anyway!

I love your analogy between small kids and horses too! :D

I bought my first horse on the 24-03-07. Bought him from the riding school i was working at and had been for the past three months. Prior to that the last time had serious riding lessons was when I was 5. Inbetween the age of 5 - 21 I had a few horse rides in between.

I put T on full livery and have had no problems what so ever.

I think only you as a person know when you are ready. I went straight in at the deep end with no experience of sharing/loaning whihc can be a goo dway to start off and find out how it would work for you.

I have been incrediably fortunate in that I (or rather my dad) bought a first class horse who is so patient and loving (incrediably jealous thought lol).

You can over think things too much and worry about everything. I did. For the first two weeks I wasnt sure if I had done the right hting, but I dont regret it now!!!

I think buying your first horse is like thinking about having your first child.

Never the right time :rolleyes:

Difficult one I know :)

Sorry not much help am I.

I haven't got my own horse (yet) either as waiting for baby to go to nursery first but i too think there is never a 'right' time. There are probably lots of wrong times like just about to start a family, new demanding job, renovating house etc etc but i think it is very much like when you decide to have a baby, how many times i've heard folk say 'oh yes we are going to start trying when the carpet/sofa/kitchen is paid off or once the dog is a bit older' there is never really a perfect time imo.

I plan to wait til my youngest is at nursery so i will have every morning free to attend to my pony/horse. I already look at horses for sale dreaming about when i can really start looking! I have even thought about buying one sooner and just riding it myself on weekends and taking kids for leid rides during week but that is just me getting desperate!!!

You only have one life. i'd go for it.

I say the same thing!! I find myself saying 'well if my share cob was my own' etc etc but say I don't have the time or money to own one! I still don't feel ready personally to have such a huge commitment, cos I want to buy a house first lol, it's all about priorities and like others have said, theres never a 'right' time lol.

Well, I'm going through this right now. For me, the decision is being driven by several things:

- Having our two share mares for a year and realizing a) that we were capable of and enjoyed caring for horses on our own; b) we had very particular views about how they should be cared for and didn't like being "in control"
- The surprising disappearance of our two share mares (their owner moved them to France)
- My daughter and I continuing to ride for 6+ years despite injuries, nerves, setbacks
- My daughter being tall/strong/capable enough for us to share something that would carry me but not be too much for her
- Adding up how much we've spent over the years at our riding school and realizing having our own, on full livery, would be less money overall in terms of annual outlay

There IS no perfect time - believe me I've been thinking/dreaming about this for at least four years. I just feel, now, that we're ready. It's a big commitment . . . we're not buying a horse to take us up through the grades to a certain level and then sell on . . . what we buy will be with us until he/she retires and at some point we have to consider making "that" decision.

You will know when you're able - not sure about ready.

N

why don't you get a loan first or a loan with a view to buy?

I have been thinking of the loan with view to buy scenario.

I really am put off of loaning as such as I'm the sort to get too attached and then said horse get's sold from under my nose. Happened to me before with the youngster I was helping with. I was promised all sorts but ended up feeling a bit used as the horse was sold quickly and listed as "hacks out alone" etc. It was only me that did that, the owner didn't ride him! Then there was another who I paid towards upkeep (my decision, I wasn't asked for money) then other people were riding him when i was "booked" to ride and they weren't contributing and leaving the tack filthy etc. I had no say as wasn't the owner, and rightly so really! I know they weren't proper loans but I suppose I've heard too many stories as well as my own experiences.

I don't want much, just a happy hacker I can pamper!:eek:

There is never the "right" time - now is as good a time as any!

No matter how prepared you are you can confidently expect at least 3 - 6 months of heartache, tears, trauma and nerves while your perfect new horse merrily rips the mickey right out you and you realise you dont actually know which end to pat.

Even if you've had horses for years this happens:rolleyes:

Is it worth it - you better believe it:D:D

I've come to the conclusion its because they are "yours". Its fine looking after other peoples - you dont have full responsibility - there is someone else to ask. But you know what, there is still someone else to ask even if they are yours. The secret is making sure you have a good support network to help you deal with problems and let you know you are not alone.

First time you canter (or even walk or trot) out on your horse on your own you realise it was oh so worth it:D

I've come to the conclusion its because they are "yours". Its fine looking after other peoples - you dont have full responsibility - there is someone else to ask. But you know what, there is still someone else to ask even if they are yours. The secret is making sure you have a good support network to help you deal with problems and let you know you are not alone.

I will say, that's the impression I get from the yard I frequent. Everyone seems to ask everyone else for advice. Even the yard manager has said she feels I know enough and she's there to help. She has years of experience. (I do also appreciate she is trying to sell her stable too though!)

But I can see where you're coming from in this.

Totally agree with Skippys Mum, could not have put it better!

I had a year of working at a point to point yard to get some real hands on experience, however useful as it was, NOTHING can prepare you for having your own horse.

You can have ups and downs even with a dobbin of a pony, it wont be plain sailing to start with but was the rearing, bucking, tantrums and tears worth it for me??? HELL YEAH! and i wouldn't have it any other way... thats how you learn after all :)

I have been thinking of the loan with view to buy scenario.

I really am put off of loaning as such as I'm the sort to get too attached and then said horse get's sold from under my nose.

I would have thought with a full loan that you can get a clause put in the contract stating that the horse may not be sold while on loan to you? Appreciate what you say about falling in love and then having to give him back though, it's not the same as owning.

I think if you're financially secure and know you can care properly for a horse then there's nothing stopping you... just whether you feel ready for the commitment yet. I don't know if you would have to give up your whole social life/holidays. If you were really skint and tired all the time, you could find a sharer to help with the costs and looking after when you're away. I wish I was in your position, it will be maaaany years before I can buy my own lovely pony!

I was in the same situation a while ago. I had a 2 year plan to volunteer at a rescue centre, continue with riding lessons and hack out with my friends horse. Then go back to Australia and buy my own horse.

Then I just thought, 'Why wait for the 'perfect' situation', so I decided to go for it. I have loaned Izzy from the rescue centre I help at and have him on assisted livery at a great yard where I get a lot of support if I need it.

I think if you have the support and can afford it, I say go for it. I haven't regretted my decision - although I have definitely got nervous at times!

Go for it:D Life is too darn short - if its your dream - then make your dream come true?

After a very bad accidrent at age 30 I had to sell my horses because of back injury and nobody to help out. Managed about 6 years horseless - persuaded to go for a trek at a local yard by a friend. Reluctantly dusted of my ancient hat at went.

One month later I had bought another horse:rolleyes: Now 60 and despite being semi crippled because of insisting that I CAN still ride - the only thing I regret is those 6 years out of 60 when I didnt have my own horse:D

I was a mature learner did not start riding til I was 37 and never dreamed I would want my own horse.

Then last year I fell off a naughty riding schooled horse and badly broke my wrist, OH then went out and bought me my own horse so I would never ride a naughty one again.

I had part loaned for 2 years but had no other experiences of horsemanship, work full time, have a family and compete in triathlons but havent looked back since.

Im learning as I go along, making expensive mistakes (buy too many rugs etc)
but my Grace is happy and healthy and even after a year Iv moved from livery to DIY

You find the time and your way with horses, couple of tips I would say, is try and buy the right horse (which is easier said than done) and have some helpful people around you ( another easier said than done thing) buy the joy it brings you is wonderful, as well as the worrying :p

Good luck I will be watching your threads to see if you bite the bullet :)

Haven't read all the other posts so forgive me if I repeat anyone else.

Think it's a bit like having Children, lol, there is never a 'perfect' time.

Reading your post makes me think you have covered most things so I am sure
that by the time you 'find' your Horse and make the decision its the 'right' one
you will be READY;):p

I work shifts which is great in some ways and a NIGHTMARE in others, but
you do 'find the time' simple as that and when you have nice lazy Summer Days at the yard it makes it all worth it, even if they are sometimes few and
far between with our Weather:D

Thanks guys!

It sounds to me like my worrying is quiet normal then! Seeing your experiences has certainly made me feel a bit more chilled about it.

Thanks so much for all the advice.

Watch this space!:D:eek::D

newrider.com