The "Should" Law-When Was That Passed?

RMSC & OBC- I completely get what your both saying and I love to ride, that's why I KEEP trying to get it right with mine!!!! but its other people sticking unhelpful opinions and noses into other business and decisions that gets me and runs me up the wrong way!
- whether you ride three times a day 365 days a year or not at all!!! That is your decision and yours alone to do with you and YOUR horse and nobody's else's blinking business!!!:)

Then it really doesn't matter at all what other people think. If you are both happy, thats really the important thing.

Sjp- completely agree with you- oh and the bit you said about you needing a kick up the arse from your RI/YO to overcome fears and actually get riding- you've just described me!!!! My RI is coming out tomorrow again to restart us both:)

I don't think it is a question of not being able to afford to keep them as pets - if you've got them then you are affording them! More a question of what you are prepared to spend your money on - if you can't ride them and you really feel that is why you bought them then obviously a non ridden pet is not going to be appealing. On the other hand, if you are prepared to spend money on them ridden or no then so be it. Each to their own.

For me its the variety. But i have her because i enjoy every aspect of looking after her.

Remind me I said that if i lose another pair of wellies because I sunk! :redface:

We all I hope enjoy what we have and what we do, so someone telling you what you should do or should not do-when they do not themselves do either, i found odd.

I think it was Karinus that said whoever foots the bill gets to choose what they do.

I don't think it is a question of not being able to afford to keep them as pets - if you've got them then you are affording them! More a question of what you are prepared to spend your money on - if you can't ride them and you really feel that is why you bought them then obviously a non ridden pet is not going to be appealing. On the other hand, if you are prepared to spend money on them ridden or no then so be it. Each to their own.

Exactly! I've never understood that concept of not being able to afford yo keep a horse that isn't ridden.

Luckily, my hubby understands and fully supports my love of ownership as being about the horses, not the riding. After all, we love our cats and don't feel we need to get 'value' out of them.

We all I hope enjoy what we have and what we do, so someone telling you what you should do or should not do-when they do not themselves do either, i found odd.

I think it was Karinus that said whoever foots the bill gets to choose what they do.

This. I have no problem with people choosing not to ride their horse - the point is that it is their decision because it is their horse! - not for someone else to say what they "should" be doing with it.

For me its the variety. But i have her because i enjoy every aspect of looking after her.

Remind me I said that if i lose another pair of wellies because I sunk! :redface:

I think we all get people around who make 'dumb comments' at times. Its best to learn to ingnore them. As Karin says you foot the bill.

I remember once when I was about 14years old a friend at the yard I was on kept saying 'the YO says you should do this' 'the YO says you should do that' I blew my top with her one day and said ' Look see that? it is my horse and my dad pays the bills, we make the decisions. My horse not yours or YO's. Live with it!' that shut her up:giggle:

I forget which country it is where they ride on a saddle without a girth, i don't fancy that to be honest.
I am not riding because our new girth hasn't arrived yet. With Christmas the delivery didn't come in.
I did buy her a bareback pad-but she does nothing but itch and eat the fleece. So that doesn't have a cinch. By this point i thought ok i have ground work to do.

I think the key word is "should", at the end of the day everyone will keep their horses in slightly different ways and 99% of the time this is worked around what suits horse and owner. As others have said, it really isn't any business of anyone elses' how you work your horse.

In a way, it's the same mindset that gives rise to both the "you should be riding your horse by now" and the "you should give your horse x and x days off" comments....both comments whilst poking at different ways of working your horse originate from the same source......someone sticking their sticky beak in where it's not needed!!! :giggle:

I've had both comments in the past, when Puz was in full fitness and lots of work, there were the "don't you do a bit much with her, when does she have a day off" comments and when Inca got to 4 and still wasn't 100% backed there were the "oh well, you really should be up there and hacking out by now" and other similar comments. Both sets of comments came from exactly the same type of people, I kept myself to myself and was usually at the yard when it was quiet, so didn't inform other liveries of my exact plans and workload for the girls so they took it upon themselves to assume what I did/didn't do and comment as they felt appropriate.

As for the last person who told me I "should" be riding Inca, I asked them to follow me to the school and stand with me while I lunged her. After watching some rather impressive airs above the ground, I asked them ever so quietly whether they fancied getting on. Funny enough they weren't so keen! In exactly the same vein, when Puz is fit she needs working otherwise she convinces herself she is a TB that belongs on a racecourse (no Puz, you are short and a little chubby!), hence the lots of work!

It amazes me how many people say that. My horses haven't done as much as some people would think they should have done last year, but my other parts of my life took over last year which meant they had intermittent holidays throughout last year.

They are happy, I was as happy as I could have been given what happened last year and that's all that should matter. Stuff the nosy wotsits if you ask me.

newrider.com