The slowest walk

Got out yesterday, finally, and while the walk has improved its still pretty pitiful, I don't think he'll ever have a great walk.

We did 5 miles and it took an hour and a quarter, and we trotted half of it! (for comparison Jess walks at that speed but she does have a great walk). I'm sticking with the voice, leg, stick routine, he's responding to the voice more and more and shifting up to trot is easy enough just with voice and leg pressure, so he is becoming more responsive, in those first rides I don't think I could have got a trot if I had wanted it.

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
Got out yesterday, finally, and while the walk has improved its still pretty pitiful, I don't think he'll ever have a great walk.

We did 5 miles and it took an hour and a quarter, and we trotted half of it! (for comparison Jess walks at that speed but she does have a great walk). I'm sticking with the voice, leg, stick routine, he's responding to the voice more and more and shifting up to trot is easy enough just with voice and leg pressure, so he is becoming more responsive, in those first rides I don't think I could have got a trot if I had wanted it.
Progress is progress - no matter how small.

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
Sounds like Hogan is his spirit animal. One of the dog walkers I meet gets the giggles every time we meet. She says Hogan looks like the schoolboy who doesn't want to go to school. I had to look up the meaning of "active walk" to remind me what it was.

• Haha
Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
We've got more progress, and I actually feel a bit bad. I put jess' hoof boots on him yesterday, just to see how well they fitted as he'll need something when we ride to the coast. They are a bit big and sound like a kid in her mums high heels, but his walk was vastly better. He was not at all pottery before, just ridiculously slow, but I'm guessing he is nervous that his feet might hurt and having boots on just made him more confident, either that or his confidence is just coming on in leaps and bounds in general. I've dug out a smaller pair of boots to try today.

Reactions: Huggy
We've got more progress, and I actually feel a bit bad. I put jess' hoof boots on him yesterday, just to see how well they fitted as he'll need something when we ride to the coast. They are a bit big and sound like a kid in her mums high heels, but his walk was vastly better. He was not at all pottery before, just ridiculously slow, but I'm guessing he is nervous that his feet might hurt and having boots on just made him more confident, either that or his confidence is just coming on in leaps and bounds in general. I've dug out a smaller pair of boots to try today.
Poor chap. I have a pair of Easyboot Gloves in size 2.5 somewhere, I think, if they'd be any use to you.

Reactions: Jessey
Ziggy had small feet, I have some size 1s or 0.5s somewhere I think - let me know if you want me to look. He has got small feet! He looks quite tall!

Ziggy had small feet, I have some size 1s or 0.5s somewhere I think - let me know if you want me to look. He has got small feet! He looks quite tall!
I haven't put a stick on him but I'd guess at under 15hh and he's slighter than jess by a long shot. I'll let you know once I try the 1W, I know 0.5 don't fit as I've tried those already :)

I had a better ride on Saturday, went out early to miss the idiots! His walk is definitely improving, he started out at turtle speed but pretty got into a decent working walk and only had to be reminded occasionally!

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
That's looking better, as though it's got some swing to it now. When I saw the small branch down I did wonder what he'd do, clearly I'm too used to welsh drama queen routines lol

Goodness knows what will happen when I next get to hack Little Un in company, he's got used to swinging along at his own pace and won't be impressed if he's asked to slow it.

I'm really happy with how his walk is coming along, on the way home I don't have to remind him to walk at all, on the way out its a bit more hit and miss but getting there
Were pretty much only doing voice then leg now, I've ridden the last couple of times with my stick in my boot :)

OK so we've had the major napping issue for the last couple of weeks, but I can say his walk is significantly better now, I haven't needed the stick in weeks and if he slows he'll mostly pick it back up from a verbal cue and little nudge, and I'm totally OK with that :) he's never going to have an outstanding walk but it at least feels enthusiastic :)

newrider.com