fairlady

Jul 14, 2007
Bristol
Lol, after the reading 'we are all poor' thread, thought I would start a
thread on tips of 'how' to save money in January:D

Here are mine

Turn the heating down and snuggle up under the duvet with your OH
to watch TV;)

Make a few dishes with your Turkey/Beef leftovers and freeze them, nobody wants it immediately after Christmas, lol, but a week or two down the line
it will come in useful:D

Try making your own bread, cheaper and tastier:)

Make up a big batch of Mince and make Spag Bogs, Chilli, Cottage Pie etc. all good wholesome Winter food.

Make up a Menu for the week and Write a 'shopping list' and STICK TOO IT, lol, when you go to the Supermarket and don't be tempted by anything OFF the list. I know if I followed my own advice on that one, I would save a fortune !

Have you any tips to add?

Last edited:
--Ebay any unwanted gifts and use the New Year for a clear out and sell off anything you dont use.

--Start reading more - uses less electricity.

--Go to the library instead of buying books.

--Slow down when driving. I think 50mph is a good speed and limit how many revs your engine does as it uses more fuel. If dirving an automatic car, sit in netural at any lights which have long timers.

--Walk more and enjoy the winter weather :p

--Keep as much of the wrapping paper and gift bags as you can for recycling

Oooh I cant htink of any more off the top of my head

Oooh, I like this thread - great tips so far!

If you have an open fire - that you put logs on, try making / gatherin your own kindling instead of buying the ready bagged variety. You can have a great time "going sticking" - and it will burn off some Christmas turkey calories at the same time! We collect ours round and about when out walking - its great fun and burns much better than the bought variety! (And use the bags that you get the bought variety in as well, recycling!!!!)

Save on dishwasher tabs - make sure you really fill the dishwasher instead of putting it on twice a day (am guilty of that over the festive period!)

Make your own scones / biscuits - much tastier than bought and cheaper too if you make enough in one go!!

Eat your horses carrots (yes really not kidding here!) there is nothing wrong with them boiled and mashed - (I mean those huge sacks of pony carrots you can get). Much cheaper than the premium supermarket packs

fill a jar of garlic, for use in the kitchen, from the new packet you buy for the horses. it is just the same, but a fraction of the cost you pay in a grocery shop. stores own brand of washing machine pwder and fabric conditioner are half the price and work just as well as the expensive brands. stock up on pulses, and live on nourishing thick soups and stews. buy large bags of potatoes from farm shop or at roadside; about 6 pounds for a 20 kilo bag, much cheaper.

I agree with the carrots one - all that is wrong with them is that they are a funny shape!

Use own brand baby shampoo for washing legs/tails etc instead of using horsie shampoo (which is expensive!)

Make your own "mane and tail spray" using water, cheap conditioner and a drop of baby oil. Reuse an old spray bottle to put it in.

When summer comes, make your own fly spray - buy citronella oil and mix it with 4 parts water (to one part oil). Again reuse an old spray bottle.

If you have a sweet itch sufferer, use diluted Dettol in a spray bottle to keep it at bay.

Use a cotton summer sheet under your horse's heavy rugs - stick it in your washing machine once a week or so, it will keep your horse's coat cleaner and also will mean you only have to have your big rugs cleaned when winter is over, rather than several times throughout. (Pick them up in the Robinson's sale perhaps lol?).

Club together with friends to buy hay/straw/feed/shavings etc in bulk and get it cheaper.

Maintain your tack and rugs - a small repair will cost less than replacing it completely when it falls to pieces!

Reassess your feeding - does your horse really need all those supplements? Is there another company that offers the same thing for less money? (my horses get own brand coarse mixes - the content is exactly the same as the expensive branded stuff, its just 3 pounds a bag cheaper)

I will add more if I can think of some :)

If dirving an automatic car, sit in netural at any lights which have long timers.

cheers, didn't know to do that!

Midnight_Ashes said:
Use a cotton summer sheet under your horse's heavy rugs - stick it in your washing machine once a week or so, it will keep your horse's coat cleaner and also will mean you only have to have your big rugs cleaned when winter is over, rather than several times throughout.

Trouble with my lad is, he lays down in his poo, so the heavy rug gets filthy! I think I might put the summer sheet on the outside! (I bought 4 in the sales!)

Howabout a few 'cheap' meal recipes...

Here is one of our favourites.

Cheese and Potatoe Pie

Peel a large onion and cut into quarters.

Peel Potatoes and boil in the pan with the onion.

When cooked mash together with milk until a 'sloppy' consistancy and season.

Grate Cheese and stir in.

Place in baking dish and sprinkle cheese on top.

Cook in the oven for about 20 - 25 minutes and until cheese on top has melted and slightly browned.

Very tasty and can be put into pastry to make a 'proper' pie if wished.

Last edited:
Howabout a few 'cheap' meal recipes...

Here is one of our favourites.

Cheese and Potatoe Pie

Peel a large onion and cut into quarters.

Peel Potatoes and boil in the pan with the onion.

When cooked mash together with milk until a 'sloppy' consistancy and season.

Grate Cheese and stir in.

Place in baking dish and sprinkle cheese on top.

Cook in the oven for about 20 - 25 minutes and until cheese on top has melted and slightly browned.

Very tasty and can be put into pastry to make a 'proper' pie if wished.

My nana makes that!!! Its yummy!! Sometimes she puts tomatoes in (yuck) or bacon (yummy) :D

Sounds good that recipe for pie! I do a similar thing and call it "stewed potatoes" - you just cook your spuds, onion and put butter in a pan - till it goes rather mushy and I like to have them with a hunk of bread!

Mine live in turnout rugs because of that lol :p They only wear their stable rugs the night before a show :)

There's an idea, but i prefer the look of the stable rugs LOL

My [Scottish] father used to make something like that cheese and potato pie. but he used bacon instead of cheese and called it stovies...

I agree with the carrots one - all that is wrong with them is that they are a funny shape!

Use own brand baby shampoo for washing legs/tails etc instead of using horsie shampoo (which is expensive!)

Make your own "mane and tail spray" using water, cheap conditioner and a drop of baby oil. Reuse an old spray bottle to put it in.

Ooooh good idea, how much conditioner would you put in ?????:D;)

newrider.com