Things change?

x.Moomoo.x

Apr 28, 2009
South West
Something quite big has happened in someones life I know very well, who is like a 2nd mum to me (I spend more time at hers than mine!) it looks like after 5yrs of living down here, that she will have to move back up to Watford.

It'd break my heart if she left as we have seen each other pretty much everyday for the past 3/4 years! and shared our horse together who was the best thing in our life.

I said to her if she goes, I go! Before this happend I wanted to move away anyway (and would have soon because of Uni) and in London there are SO many more opportunities - I'd have a better start doing my Law degree and I could get my modelling career on track! (infact I'm even going to London this Thursday for modelling) so would save the trips up ;)

I would LOVE to live in London and there are loads of horses available up there :) my friend said she'd get a house, and rent a room out to me (her 5yr old little boy would be rather pleased with that lol :eek:)

I can't believe what's happening tbh, but I guess things change... but I guess I'll just be moving away for a few years for Uni and my adopted mum is gonna be there with me (where she lived her whole life).

Has anyone ever done anything like this before? Moved away from home because of Uni etc. that's quite far? How did you cope and do you regret it? I'd love to hear some peoples experiences..

I think that in life people who you care about are always going to come and go. Just because your friend is moving away, it doesn't mean that you won't still be part of each other lifes. You need to make your own decisions based on what you want to do, rather than just because someone else is opening a door for you.

Uni at London would be great, but to get the most out of the whole experience I would recommend that you live in halls or get a student house with some friends. You won't appreciate this now, but you will really change over the next few years and when you start to become more independent and live your own life, you may not want to live with your 'adopted mum', however well you get on with her. It is scarey to move away on your own, but at uni everyone else is in the same position and it really is easy to make friends.

It's great that she has offered you a room, but I would really think long and hard about accepting that. You would be better off having her as a good friend to visit as often as you can and making your own way in the world. Student life is great and it's a shame not to fully embrace it. When I was 18 I never thought that I would be the student type, but after my 2nd week I loved it. I made lifelong friends and enjoyed 3 amazing years. I was 200 miles from home and didn't know anyone, but by the end of my 2nd day I was fine.

The only thing that I would say about London, is that everything costs a fortune! Most people I know keep their horses in livery well outside of London, although I'm no expert on that.

Mary Poppins - I know I would LOVE the student life, I already play a part in it now, out 3 nights a week, have loadsa friends, I started a new college 2 months ago and met loads of new people and yeah I'd love to stay in halls, but like you said yourself, London isn't cheap and I thought as there's an opportunity for me to rent a room off of someone, it'd probably be a better option? as I really don't have the funds to fork out whenever I want!

It doesn't say I won't look around for student accommodation as I would really love it, and really should take full advantage of everything I do, but it really does come down to money at the end of the day. & it wouldn't be London itself, more around Hertfordshire, but thanks for your reply :eek:

I moved to Paris at 18, then Liverpool, originaly being from Newcastle. I loved it then went to Aberystwyth for my PGCE-fun times! I now live in Watford and the accommodation is much cheaper than in London itself. If you commute, Watford Junction takes you straight to Euston or Watford tube goes to Baker Street-simples! Going to Uni is great fun but also damn hard work and looking after yourself is really hard to start with. The money issue is extremely hard and I was foreer starving and skint-dropped a lot of weight cos I literally didn't eat for weeks. Unless you're looking at a vocational course, I would be tempted not to go and get a job instead or if you're gonna move, then investigate the course thoroughly and see where it will take you-you have plenty of time before the next academic year.

Last edited:
I'm from Cornwall, but when I was 18 I moved to Cardiff to go to uni. I was there for three years and loved it. And once I'd had a taste of living away from home, I didn't want to go back. Returning to Cornwall in the holidays I felt like I was "visiting" my parents rather than "going home" and I found that living with them again was like suffocating.
So when I graduated in summer 2006, I didn't move back home. I lived in Italy for three months, then the Channel Islands for eight months, then went back to Italy for two years. I finished there in June and have since been living in Portugal.
I love Cornwall but it's not home any more and neither is the house where I grew up - it's now just "my parents' house". The decision to move away for uni was basically a no-brainer - and it turned out to be a fantastic three years, and a big proportion of that was because I was living independently!

On the other hand, NOTHING would entice me to live in, or near, London. Absolutely NOTHING :eek:

I moved from glasgow, to germany, then to Ripon, then to Sunderland (because mydad was in the army and we moved a lot) Now i live in East anglia and moved to be with my OH and to start a new life together. It is scary and i hated it at first because i didn't know anyone or my way around but i soon got used to it :)

Hi Moomoo

When are you due to start Uni? Next September? You could always make some regular visits before you decide to move so you know you are doing the right thing. I just wondered how your natural Mum felt about this? I would be gutted if my Daughter moved away to live with someone who also played a Motherly role!

My sister-in-law lives in Watford, and personally i love it. My partners family all live around that area, but he refuses to move back, saying it is very different staying there to living there. x

On the other hand, NOTHING would entice me to live in, or near, London. Absolutely NOTHING :eek:

Depends where you are,tho. Watford is 20 mins to London on the train, where I live is very urban, but within 5 minutes, there are woods, rivers, at least 8 yards, fab hacking and you never realise you're so near London, plus there's the M1 and M25 (oh joy) are within 5 minutes.

I didn't move for uni but i left my home town in Norfolk to move to London to be with my OH. Best move i ever made :) we live on the outer fringes and i work on a yard just outside the M25 (15 min drive in bad traffic)

but make sure your moving because YOU want to not because your friend is going. I found it very lonely when i first moved even though i had me OH and friends i met though him. It ca be very daunting leaving behind everything that you know

Hey thanks for all your replies everyone :)

No don't get me wrong, I'm not moving because of my friend, not at all, I have to move or do what I need to and not because of what other people are doing.
I was just thinking about Universities around London area anyway, just because I'd really like to, and it happens that she may be moving back up there - and it came about that living near her could be really beneficial because I have lived in Devon all of my life, and I'd just really like to know someone in that sort of area incase I need them :eek:

My friend doesn't act her age, acts more my age! but she has the experience of an 'adult' so we get on like a house on fire!

And at the end of the day, I'm going to move away for Uni anyway, and as it won't be near home, my mum would find it comforting knowing that someone was kind of around :)

newrider.com