Think im pushing the wrong buttons!

Kira657

Jul 18, 2005
North Cornwall
This should probably go in training of the rider! Anyway, me and my mare are in the process of learning how to go on the bit at the mo but I find that when I start to work the inside rein as my instructor says then Kiras head comes up rather than 'in' (if thats the way to explain it) and also when I ask for a bit more impulsion through her body she speeds up and shortens up her stride(almost shuffling) rather swinging through from behind and stepping into the contact . Im not too good at explaining all this but any advise is much appreciated

are you sure you have the right amount of contact.Too much and you will restrict the horses movement,not enough and the horse will speed up and lose the impulsion. Try adjusting the length of your reins and seeing whether things improve by doing so.

That's what I was wondering, too, nutkin. Although you need a consistent contact it shouldn't be too tight, you're not holding the head in, you're giving the horse something to come towards (if that makes sense). It has to be consistent so that they know where the goalposts are but you should be thinking more about working from behind and getting the back end going, the head will follow (at some point) naturally.

If the horse is trying to run on then half halts are helpful rather than a backwards tug on both reins.

Just a question ... what do you mean when you say 'work the inside rein'?

newrider.com